2005 Murano Seat Lifter Rail Broke

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
yosM45
Car: 2006 M45 Sport Twighlight Blue

So my wife's Murano's seat broke yesterday and after doing some research, I found a TSB that outlines the exact issue that the MO has.

I can't believe that it's common for the rails that hold the seat in place to break.

The bigger issue is that the car is out of warranty. It has 74k miles on it and the repair is going to be like $1000.

I've never heard of a cars seat rail snapping. I mean, what kind law suit would Nissan have on it's hands if we were involved in an accident, and the entire seat went flying through the windshield.

Has anyone else had this issue with their seat?

Does anyone here have any experience dealing with Nissan warranting an issue outside of warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help.

http://cid-c278d879c6567503.sk...c.pdf

Let me know if the link doesn't work.
Modified by yosM45 at 5:37 PM 1/1/2010

bourque_john
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano

The semi good news is that your not the only one. I just bought a used 06 Murano and it came with the same problem. The bad news is that I don't know squat to tell you yet. I've been looking around to try and find one but Nissan tells me 777.48 for the part alone and auto wreckers don't seem to want to talk to me when I bring up separating the rail from the seat.

I just signed up to the forum largely to see if anyone could help me in finding either the rail from a parts truck or, at this point, the whole damn seat. So long as it's the right colors and what not. I had found on Ebay motors front and rear seats with the power options. It was just tan not black.

Oh one thing I found out recently. It can be welded. Though if your going to try that option do it soon and have her drive with the seat on the floor till you get it done. The guy who just welded mine, today in fact, said that the mounts were twisted a bit. My only conclusion to that is either when the previous owner broke it he/she were getting their freak on in the drivers seat or left it way too long before even I got it.

I hope the welding works better for you if you try it. I can still feel a bit of motion in the seat so I'm guessing that it's not going to hold all that long.

Worst yet, when it does break again, there won't be a weld option. It will only be replacement.

Good luck and if you hear about a wrecker with the seats with full power and black let me know.

John Bourque

yosM45
Car: 2006 M45 Sport Twighlight Blue

John,

Sorry it's taken me a bit. Just to let you know I took the Murano into the dealer. I had them write up a repair order and submit to corporate for a goodwill (Nissan covers it under warranty).

They denied it, so the next step is to deal with Nissan Consumer Affairs (1-800-NISSAN-1). The are currently investigating the TSB, and they'll make a decision by Friday.

Recall are issued by NHTSA, not Nissan, so if Consumer Affairs does not approve the repair, I will file a recall complaint with NHTSA.

You should too. The link is

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

In the mean time, another option since you mentioned ebay, is to replace the entire seat. Ebay is going to be a tough find. There's a website car-parts.com which links up salvage yards from across the country. There are entire seat assemblies out there from $150 and up.

Since mine is tan, I have 3 right now that I'm looking at (leather, ten, power, gas pedal button, side air bag) that are identical.

Here is the link to the current search for our 2005's.

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

There's a few black ones on there, and every single one that I called were able to provide me with pictures via email with in a few hours.

But definitely, file a recall complaint, that's the only way we're going to get this resolved.

bourque_john
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano

Well I didn't know anything about the recall stuff. Thanks for the info.

Actually what I ended up doing was sending a less than complimentary email to the general manager of the dealership I bought the truck from. He had it taken care of for me. So my seats all good to go now.

I hope it works out for you with the route your taking and I kinda wish I knew your color before. The first seat sets I found were tan.

Return to “Murano Forum”