2005 Maxima won't start

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
stanleybeemish
Car: 2005 maxima

First time here...son took it to restaurant, brought it home says it is acting funny...gauges all went dead, turned key off/on, started and it ran funny and kind of would not shift properly, then drove it home just fine. went to start next morning, good battery connections, would not fire. gauges all are reading dead. Computer? Thought I would get on here before I call the tow company, just want to get an idea.

thanks.

macgiver

Now a messed up , bucking , poorly running motor WILL "seem ' to present itself as ALSO having transmission problems , 9 outa 10 problem IS in motor . It's WINTER , an engine (especially brand new OR Hi-Mi ) MUST be driven "nicely" , until FULLY warmed-up when it's cold out :yesnod . Any funny smoke out of exhaust or ONLY out of one( of "duel" exhaust) tailpipe ? Any engine knocking or more importantly - does the "Oil pressure Idiot Light " flicker , delay , and NOT GO OUT immediately as you turn key to crank ?? :tisk: ( more pronounced when upon COLD start ) = BAD OIL Pressure , now.( Pump messed up , bearings spun-out ? ) Hate to say it ,it's the"parent's nightmare" we all dread. If 'n when a motor is "BEAT" , cold especially, you may get , but not Ltd. to : spun bearings , rod then main? ;messed-up "valve train" like timing chain slack / jumped tooth ; busted ring(s) ; "hole " in piston(s) ; any of several consequences of "Detonation" damage (constant pedal to meddle) ;possible emissions componants like O2 sensors or even CATS "Mucked-up" from "blow-by" contamination - God knows the rest :cry: Also problem MAY be linked to 1, several , or ALL 8 cyl.
In my opinion the BEST diagnostic - if not too difficult for you i s an inspection of ALL plugs , and if possible where REMOVED IMMEDIATELY AFTER the poor performance -& immediate shutdown. Good luck G 2/28/2018

macgiver

Forgot to include this part : super high RPM's may have "Blown" the Alternater causing those "Global" electrical "glitches" . :cool:

stanleybeemish

74,000 miles....owned it 3 years, bought it from original owner with 52,000miles on it. thanks. got a good friend who will plug his hand held computer into it to determine if it is electrical or not. engine showed zero signs of anything....was just curious if anyone had this happen to theirs.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Get the battery loadtested then move on to the alt. Too low a power level and electronic cars then make up strange things to blow your mind. If ATX and shifting wonky an indicator of that, the solenoids are down on power.

Very common now for batteries to spit their guts out with zero warning. (it's really there of course, it's just that most don't catch the very subtle signs of one about to DNF.)

macgiver

Bought as Maxima - sell it now as Minima :rolleyes:

stanleybeemish

ok, got it fixed....fyi. Do not put change in the area where the radio display is....seems there was a penny that fell behind the dash and got lodged in where the a/c module is located and shorted it out...threw a code, disconnected the module and car started. plugged it back in and car would only crank but no start. Just passing this 308.00 repair bill along. So in essence, 1 cent cost 308.00 actual dollars today!!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”