2005 G35 Sedan - weird Vehicle Speed reading in Live mode on scanner

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
cfauvel

Hello everyone.

So the car has some CAN bus issues whenever I go through the car wash, which results in drivability issues and dash lights and codes...but when the car is dry, there is no drivability issue and no dash issues and the car shifts fine.

What I noticed when I did a live feed from the transmission module (whilst trying to diagnose the above issue) was that one of the few speed PIDs (is that the right term?) would read like 140mph at a stand still and the other pid would read 0 at a stand still....then when I let my foot off the brake the two readings would make sense. The speedometer would read correctly
Strange_Vehicle_Speed_reading..png
The car is at a shop that I hope can figure out what module or where on the can bus is water getting to, to completely wreak havoc on the bus. He too found the same weirdness in reported speed on his scanner. I'm using an Autel MD806 Pro

I believe the speedometer sensor is internal to the transmission tail section and I believe the wires for that sensor go through the transmission to the TCM, which is on the valve body...if true that would suck...if someone knows about this 5 speed transmission and its speedometer sensor, please enlighten me.

And if any of you work on Nissan/Infiniti auto transmission let me know is those numbers are normal or not....thanks.
or if someone with a g35 auto and have a scanner that does live data from the Transmission module can you look and see what your numbers are. please :-)

cfauvel

Update: Looking at the FSm for the transmission
the diagnostic section for Speed states to look at VHCL/S SE-AT....which on my scanner is reading correctly....I think it is a non-issue

And yes to replace the vehicle speed sensor, you have to drop the pan and remove the extension....but doesn't look to bad....you don't have to remove the valve body (that's good)....it's ALL of the OTHER stuff that has to be removed to get to it....ugh.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”