2005 dragging

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
ras_oscar

I have a 2005 Altima. Original owner, never been in an accident. The driver door has begun dragging. That's the only way I can describe it. It feels like the door is sagging a bit. There is a narrow stripe of worn paint in the middle of the rocker panel where the door closes, and it makes a clunking sound unlike the other 3 doors. Any ideas? there is no evidence that the door has shifted position or lost its shims, as the factory paint in this area is intact and unmolested.

jdshift
Car: 2019 Nissan Altima/ 2015 Nissan Altima 3.5/ 2014 infiniti qx70s 5.0

Hello, sorry for the late response. Have you checked the door hinge? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the door to sag, if not, somebody will chime in soon to provide more information. Good luck.

*Update* I just saw the date on this, hopefully you already got it fixed. If so, please post your findings.

ras_oscar

nope, you're the first reply and I have no ideas where to begin to diagnose this problem.

jdshift

First place I would look into is opening the door and looking at the condition of the plastic door hinge, it could need replacing. That and the inner nuts and bolts is where I would start. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the door to sag. Good Luck.

ras_oscar

er... the little plastic piece is broken but the metal door hinges that actually holds the door are in place and undamaged.

jdshift

That would be the problem, head to a Nissan dealership and request for them to look up that part for you, they can provide a part number and you can take it from there. You could buy the part from them, maybe a pull & pay/ junkyard, or Ebay to give you a few ideas how to obtain the part. If you have a Haynes or Chilton manual, that will be a big help to guide you to repair it yourself if need be or youtube with videos perhaps. Good luck.

*UPDATE* The correct term for the part is called Front door check stopper Hinge, just wanted to ensure I was pointing you in the right direction.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”