2005 Altima 2.5SE problems starting...HELP

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
my1newcar
Car: 2005 nissan altima

My first new car...and I need some advice from the experts!!

My car is about 14 months old and I have just over 20,000 miles (mostly freeway miles from a 120 mile per day commute for 5 months). Just yesterday I went to start it and it was making grinding noises and the engine wouldnt turn over. I tried several times with no success -- but my boyfriend was able to finally get it started later that day. There seems to be a small amount of blake some coming out of the tail pipe, but once it starts it seems to run fine. The oil has been recently changed, but I know that I need a tune up.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? We will go to a mechanic tomorrow morning, but would like to be as educated as possible before then.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

At first, I was going to suggest inspecting the starter. What kind of grinding sound is coming from the car? Does it sound like metal grinding on metal? Or the engine trying to turn over very slowly?

Black Smoke coming from the tailpipe? Wonder if you got a fuel mixture problem. Let me check tomorrow and I will get back with you.

Let us know what the mechanic said.bud

BadMrScary
Car: 2005 350Z & 2005 Altima 3.5 SE

There is no way you should need a tune up already. Plus, your new car is under warranty, don't wait around, take it in right away!!

hacku
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima SE

3 yr. 36,000 mi. warranty... Take it straight to the dealer and have THEM check it out.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”