2004 Sentra 1.8s 5spd- what would you offer?

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
sever
Car: 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8s 5spd
~81.5k as of 4/5/2020!~

Hi all! I've been lurking on NicoClub for a little bit and it seems as if this is the absolute best place to go for advice. I've been thinking about selling my Sentra for a different car for a little while but It's difficult. First car and all of that jazz. I'm curious to see what YOU guys think it's worth as supposed to the facebook dudes who think they should lowball the hell out of it so they can rice it for cheap.
Car Info:

-2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8s 5spd Manual, Molten Silver Metallic with Ivory Grey interior
***SUPER LOW miles, 81,500 as of today 4/5/2020
-Bought in New York in 2004, moved to North Carolina in 2008, now in Indiana
-I am the second owner, I know the first owner very very well (grandpa lol, story below but feel free to skip)
Long story short that car was kind of the "around town" little car. they had a pathfinder that they put 150k on it by taking it on trips, they leave for weeks at a time to visit places so the Sentra was rarely driven. they have a truck and a minivan now that they use for everything so the Sentra wasn't necessary to them anymore; and me being the first grandchild i got it under the condition i learned to drive it)

-The car has been mechanically babied. At the sight of a check engine light or a problem it was serviced. Oil changed regularly, tires are two years old, and i have maintenance records up the a$$ for this thing).
-Interior is near perfect. The backseats look brand new. The drivers seat is a little loose but it's an old car and its not discolored. Obviously some carpet staining over the years but mostly where you can't see.

Cosmetically it isn't amazing but by no means awful. I had to replace the rear glass because someone put their foot through it 2 weeks after i got it (long story).

Cosmetic Issues (The list looks like a lot but it's just a lot of little things):
-The car has been through many hurricanes near the NC coast, so;
-it's definitely scratched but mostly on the trunk lid. Doors have some but not as many as it once did
(stripped, compounded, polished, and waxed the whole car TODAY and it looks much better (deep scratches remain :/)
-The wheel covers are peeling pretty bad. I'll paint them sometime soon but it's good to mention.
-Small little dents/dings in the hood and doors but can be popped out, i should do that too lol
-Dent from a tree branch on the rear passenger side roof- by no means noticeable.
-Black paint peeling on the passenger rear door where the window is.
-The bumpers. Oh lord where can I begin
- When the car was less than a month old my grandma backed into a dumpster. Not pushed in but has marks
-About a month and a half ago I scuffed a car in a parking lot. Not dented but scratched.
-Just beat up from years and years of use and rock chips. I'll replace them if the salvage yard near me actually
gets a set in the same color that isn't even worse than what I have.

A friend said I could probably get 3k for it, I'm not so sure I agree but I figured I should come here and ask anyway. Thank you!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Someone who knows you and the car will gladly give you 3k for it.
But a stranger (and lets face it thats were the market usually is) is unlikely to appreciate the good mechanical condition.
And when 2010 Sentras with a 2.0L are widely available starting at 4 k its a tough proposition to get 3 k for yours.

You dont have a loan on it .. since you mention it was your first car that makes me feel you sound a bit like a younger guy, who may not have $$ coming out the wazoo.

There are times in the past I regret trading in a car and getting low $$ for it years later.. wishing I would have kept it as a second car.
Especially since there is no loan on it and property tax on it ( if your state has such a thing for cars) will be trivial.

One of the rules I have developed over the decades for a situation like this is the following

- If I saw this car that I am selling, with everything I know about its condition.... for the price I am about to get .. and would tell myself.. "thats a great deal Ill buy it right now.!".. then thats telling me I shouldn't sell it or trade it in.
Does that make sense?

Not to sell something for a price that I would be willing to pay right now to buy it.. because then why sell it?
Do you have your eye on a nicer and more exciting car thats currently FS for a very attractive price since car sales are in the dumpster?
This same factor that makes your next car more affordable will also depress the sale price of your own car.

This is how I have come to sell cars that I regretted the sale...

To this day I regret trading in my 2004 Caribbean Blue Infiniti G35 with newer shocks all around ,newer tires all around, newer fluids all around, newer plugs, running perfect but it was an 04 with 179,000 miles.
I got only 3k for it.

I dont even remember the car I traded it in for.Its probably in my signature list..
But I do remember this G35..

- The exception to selling a car for same or less than you feel its would be worth to you on a lot knowing its condition and history is this:
Sell it to a good friend. I always feel good about that.

If you dont have a good friend who will give you money for it in the same range as you are getting ( admittedly lowball) offers then keep it as second car even if you feel you must buy that next car.
And then perhaps eventually a good friend will need a car where you will feel good about selling it to him lowball.

sever
Car: 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8s 5spd
~81.5k as of 4/5/2020!~

PalmerWMD- Thanks for the reply!! I’ve been thinking the same thing. I’m 17 and in high school but I make (made :/ laid off until at least June) enough money that I can afford to pay insurance on the car if I need to. With it being as old as it is i’d give it minimum or liability only but I’d gladly keep it as a second car if my folks are willing to let me keep it lol, but not my house not my rules. Funny you mention a G35 because that’s the primary contender i’m thinking about “replacing” the sentra with. If I HAD to sell it i’d either just trade it into a dealer or put it up for like 2500 and see what came my way. I’m in love with my car and every time I drive it the thought of selling it absolutely breaks my heart. The attachment with a first car is real. I really appreciate your advice, never thought of it that way.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Since you are 17 (thanks for telling, I am geezing around in my 50s ;) ) it actually makes less sense for you to sell the car unless you already have the other one bought.
Since you are obviously single and living with family that kinda obviates the utility of a 2nd car.

G35s are often fantastic used car buys (though as with any car, lemons do exist on the used car market so exercise some care ,especially since you likely don't have a lot of experience buying used cars..dont just buy the first one, also I am sure there is a used car buying guide here somewhere on Nico)

So ultimately my advice to you is this.:
You are 17. you dont need a hot car to retain decent status amongst your peers.
If your Sentra has been good to you.. it may be more important to your lifestyle to have the extra $$ in your pocket that buying a nicer car will take out of your pocket.

When I was younger I kinda lived in "Ricer wonderland" where every single dollar I made went into buying the next nicer car.. as a result I was always broke.
And chicks do not dig that at all.

If your car is reliable and road trip season startiing soon just having plenty of money for gas is a treasure in itself.
Take a couple of buds on a 1000 mile road trip to Appalachia or drive up to the Michigan upper peninsula.. camping..
etc etc
Then you are not driving a car thats expensive to you ...and you will not stress putting a lot of miles on it.

Then later in the year when you are working again and have enough money in your pocket that the low ball price you will get for the sentra wont bug you.. then and only then, buy that used sweet, G35
When the lowball price for your current car bugs you.. either financially or emotionally, then thats another sign you should not buy that next car just yet.

:)

PS: When you go on that road trip, take a lot of pics of the car and he trip and post 'em in the sentra forum! :mike

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”