2004 Quest nut broke loose inside subframe

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
schuylkill
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

One of the two driver side control arm rear vertical mounting bolts is spinning freely because the nut broke loose inside the subframe. It is the inner most location. So I need a way to either stop the nut from spinning or cut off the head of the bolt and try to get it out after removing the control arm. I'm thinking I should first try to stop the nut from spinning by maybe drilling a hole into the subframe location that houses the nut and try to insert a large screw driver that can hopefully wedge the nut with enough force to allow the bolt to be removed. Has anyone dealt with this specific issue on this model and have advice on where to drill a hole to start? Or is this a misguided idea? I don't weld but I can get the van to a welder.
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise title

schuylkill

Think I might try something like this to cut a window. Need to look more closely tomorrow, I just walked away today and harvested my peppers.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-high ... 63023.html

schuylkill

Sorry I can't get the tool to show up with a link, not sure what is up. Anyway its a corded tool with a 3" diameter x .06 thick cutoff disk.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Link worked fine. That's as good as an air cutter in any spot where you have enough clearance to use it. Just be careful, the electric cutters are all torquey little buggers when they first spin up and obviously dangerous if they twist out of your hand. Keep a firm grip when thumbing the "on" switch.

Return to “Quest Forum”