2004 Pathfinder Transfer case drain plug without magnet

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Phifross
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5 V6 A/T

Dear all,

I'm changing my transfer case fluid following a YouTube video.
On my 2004 Pathfinder I can't find a magnet on the drain plug for the transfer case is that normal?
It looks like according the manual that there is a magnet but on the other side, on the filling plug side but I was not really able to figure where it is exactly.

Is it important to clean this magnet?

I have seen also that there is a filter on it.... do we have to change it?
If yes every what time?

Thank you so much for your help!!!!
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

If you have the LE model with an All Mode 4WD, the drain plug does not have a magnet. I don't see one in the blow up view of this transfer case I see at Nissan Parts Deal. (see below) The models with Part Time 4WD have a magnet on the drain plug. The oil filter on the A/4WD transfer case is a strainer type of filter which can be removed, rinsed off by flushing cleaner through the opposite direction of normal flow, and then replaced with new o-rings. The filter has been discontinued so you can't buy a new one and there is no aftermarket replacement. There is no maintenance schedule for this that I could find.
Attachments
A-4WD Transfer.JPG
P-4WD Transfer.JPG

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Oops! The oil filter is still available from Nissan. Part number 15208-0W42B comes with o-rings for only $230. What a deal! Yikes! The 2 o-rings are 15226-0W420 and 15226-0W421 at about $18 for the pair. I would remove the old filter, rinse it out, then replace it with new o-rings.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”