2004 Pathfinder Gas Spits Out When Fill Tank Completely

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
mppp78
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE

As the subject line states gas spits out when I'm filling the gas tank and allow pump to auto shut off when full. I've changed the following in attempts to rectify issue:

-Vapor Canister Purge Valve/Solenoid (under hood on top on engine towards firewall)
-Fuel Vapor Canister
-Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid (attaches to canister)

I'm not finding anything what else it could be besides possible fuel filler neck? Ideas appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Is it happening at the same gas station pump every time but not at others? I only ask because as a creature of habit, I always had this happen to me at the same gas station pump every time I went to fill up. It wasn't my Pathfinder's fault, it was mine for not realizing it was the gas station pump problem.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it does it at any old pump, you might need a new tank. The ORVR Valve (Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery) which shuts off venting at the top is generally built into the tank and not replaceable separately. But make sure all your vent hoses are clear before condemning any parts.

mppp78

Thanks for the responses. It's definitely at any pump at any gas station and I will say it's temperamental so doesn't occur every time, but most of the time. I am afraid you might be correct about the ORVR and needing a new tank as the hoses were also checked and appear to be clear.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it is the ORVR, one thing you can try short of tank replacement is force-flooding the valve with a heavy dose of SeaFoam or some other good solvent in the tank. Pinch off the line connecting the tank to the evap at the tank end, plus the vacuum line connecting the tank to the purge valve. Dump in a liberal quantity of solvent, then do what you're never supposed to do -- force fuel into the fill until you hit the top of the tube, then leave the cap slightly loose. This will force some solvent into the ORVR and may free it up if it's gummed. Immediately drive enough to lose at least a gallon, then remove the clamps from the hoses, tighten the cap, and clear out any codes caused in the process (there may not be any, but chances are you'll get purge codes). If that doesn't help, then chances are the problem isn't gum and you're into a new tank.

2003PATHFINDER2022
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5
2006 Nissan 350Z

I have a 2003, LE 3.5 so probably same tank. I never had that happen, just the usual nozzle shut off when gas approaches the top of tank so like many vehicles I have owned I just simply slow fill with nozzle until topped off. Why don't you watch the pump meter and take command of the nozzle and just slow down the pump pressure/flow your self and forget about it? Only thing I ever noticed about my 03 is sometimes the strong smell of gas at rear of car. on the rack we see no sweating or leaks any where. I think maybe there is a vapor can or something back there? Slow your filling down toward end of full tank filling and get back to us. Good Luck

mppp78

I've decided to just live with it and not let auto shut off occur instead just listen to when it's getting close to the top. It's probably the only thing I've encountered where I said forget it and not fix it, but might not be worth hassle or $$$. Thanks for replies everyone I was afraid of the diagnosis, but will live with it.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”