2004 M45 aux options

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
mernyfont
Car: 2004 M45 Premium Package B, twilight blue, gray leather [<70,000 miles]

This one may be on the back-burner for a while since I am using the cassette-to-headphone adapter (tape deck in the glove-box, classy).

Has anyone attempted to convert an unused output option to auxiliary output? My M45 has satellite radio capability (with button) but I will not go that route. Can I (or someone at Cartoys) rewire the insides to have the Sat Radio button activate a cleverly installed auxiliary jack?

Thanks folks!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Not necessarily sure I understand what you're trying to do...kind of occupied with the election while I check the forum. Why don't you want to go with the USA Spec, or worse, the Grom?

EdBwoy

I'm guessing you want to be able to play your phone or other gadget without necessarily using the tape player? Unfortunately, no known installations of the Grom or USA Spec piggyback options in the y34 which works well in the newer m45/m35.

There was a time when the 03 & 04 audio systems were considered impenetrable due to the integration of the audio unit with some of the other functions in the car such as HVAC. But there are options out there: topic545548.html.
This member has the aftermarket unit at the top, but I have seen other installations where people just stash the tape player (or CD changer in your case) away and put a smaller screen down there.

Gene Ln
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

I just installed the Grom-USB3 into my 2003 M45 it took a bit of screwing around to make it work, not rewiring or anything just had to find a place to put the box and then run the extension usb cable. I wanted to play mp3's from a thumb drive which is why I went with this. There is the ability to run Aux or even bluetooth dongle but those were add on wiring harness. after taking the tape deck (brains of the system in the non-nav unit I have) I unplugged the 6 disc changer (took it completely out as it was skipping after 10 seconds of play which was the reason I wanted mp3 player) plugged in the grom, it has infiniti wiring harness for that. had trouble with the thumb drive read the instructions and found I needed to make folders labeled 1 2 etc up to 6 to match the 6 disc changer after doing that it reads the thumb drive fine I have the 1 folder with all my music and went and put the other 5 as special songs so if I want just one band, or genre I can switch "discs" it doesn't care if there are 2 or 200 tracks in each "disc". I have found though that the volume seems to be over driven, almost to the point of distortion. I also am able to plug my phone in through the usb and it charges and it plays through the car stereo and it sounds clear and nice with the ability to add volume on the phone and the stereo

EdBwoy

That's pretty good to hear Gene. I also threw my disc changer out because it kept giving me problems.
To clarify, did you replace the tape player or did the Grom harness just splice in behind the tape player?

My CD changer spot is empty and I was planning to just find a way to wire an aftermarket unit to that harness.

Gene Ln

EdBwoy wrote:That's pretty good to hear Gene. I also threw my disc changer out because it kept giving me problems.
To clarify, did you replace the tape player or did the Grom harness just splice in behind the tape player?

My CD changer spot is empty and I was planning to just find a way to wire an aftermarket unit to that harness.
The unit plugs into the back of the factory tape deck, right were the cd changer does. the only wire splice is the red power lead for the unit. it needs to tap into the constant 12 volt for the factory stereo. it looks like the harness that plugs into the factory cd changer so no worries there.
As to an after market lots of wiring would need to be done to retain the climate controls and info center.

EdBwoy

Nice. I haven't gotten to dig any deeper, so I didn't know the CD changer fed to the tape player. I'll look into the Grom unit and harnesses... I didn't think the parts would be that much different from those for other Nissans.
And if its exactly a replacement for the CD changer, then that's great.

Again, thanks for sharing your success.

Gene Ln

EdBwoy wrote:Nice. I haven't gotten to dig any deeper, so I didn't know the CD changer fed to the tape player. I'll look into the Grom unit and harnesses... I didn't think the parts would be that much different from those for other Nissans.
And if its exactly a replacement for the CD changer, then that's great.

Again, thanks for sharing your success.
The one concern I have is usb thumb drive the music is over driven, what I mean is it sounds like its starting to distort as if the volume was too high but it can be low on the stereo volume, unless there is a way to turn it down at the grom unit? But if I connect my cell phone and play the music from my cell to it it sounds perfect.

Gene Ln

I will add to this, I ended up getting a cheap wrecking yard cd changer and removing the grom, my thumb drive was distorted and kept making me mad it was only good if the phone was plugged in and really I don't mess with the phone when I am in the car, safety and all lol plus I don't always take my phone in the car

infinitiM45nismo

Gene Ln wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 am
I just installed the Grom-USB3 into my 2003 M45 it took a bit of screwing around to make it work, not rewiring or anything just had to find a place to put the box and then run the extension usb cable. I wanted to play mp3's from a thumb drive which is why I went with this. There is the ability to run Aux or even bluetooth dongle but those were add on wiring harness. after taking the tape deck (brains of the system in the non-nav unit I have) I unplugged the 6 disc changer (took it completely out as it was skipping after 10 seconds of play which was the reason I wanted mp3 player) plugged in the grom, it has infiniti wiring harness for that. had trouble with the thumb drive read the instructions and found I needed to make folders labeled 1 2 etc up to 6 to match the 6 disc changer after doing that it reads the thumb drive fine I have the 1 folder with all my music and went and put the other 5 as special songs so if I want just one band, or genre I can switch "discs" it doesn't care if there are 2 or 200 tracks in each "disc". I have found though that the volume seems to be over driven, almost to the point of distortion. I also am able to plug my phone in through the usb and it charges and it plays through the car stereo and it sounds clear and nice with the ability to add volume on the phone and the stereo
Okay I want to get the grom audio as well......

I have a 2003 Infiniti M45.

What...
EXACT MODEL NUMBER TO ORDER FOR THE GROM....
I cannot find one compatible with 2003 m45's...

PLEASE HELP ME with this I appreciate it big time.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

infinitiM45nismo wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 pm
Gene Ln wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 am

What...

What are you trying to do? GROM sucks. There are far better options. But we can't help you with zero detail...

(also, I deleted your other thread as there is no reason to have two conversations going for the same exact question - you literally copy and pasted)

infinitiM45nismo

Ilya wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:20 am
infinitiM45nismo wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 pm

What...

What are you trying to do? GROM sucks. There are far better options. But we can't help you with zero detail...

(also, I deleted your other thread as there is no reason to have two conversations going for the same exact question - you literally copy and pasted)

OKAY, so I'm interested in any options really. The 2003-2004 M45 seems limited due to the design..... Sony know any nice upgraded for stereo oncthis specific vehicle, like Bluetooth or touchscreen replacing Bose tape deck. Let me know done options, I would be happy with Bluetooth because my cd player doesn't work and I don't have sirius so I thought a from would be decent. What do u think????

Thanks

infinitiM45nismo

Okay so here's something cool I found out and did... I went to the wrecking yard and got a 6 disc cd player out of a 2006 Nissan sentra.... I removed my old broke one out of the 2003 m45 and this one plugged right in and worked. I just had to modify my mount in the glovebox.....

Easy and cheap way to solve broke cd player or if your missing the cartridge.... plus the new cd player is 6 disc in one slot, sleeker, newer, better.

cbird805
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

I have a 03 Y34 with a factory tape deck. I soldered the left/right inputs to the Dolby NR connector pins inside the tape deck. the stereo grounds were soldered to a common chassis ground inside the unit, as well. I routed the wires under the ashtray and cup-holder, to a 3.5 mm stereo AUX/mic female jack inside the storage compartment under the armrest. You have to have a blank tape playing for the tape deck for it to amplify the AUX input signal, but it sounds just as good as CD does. There is a little hissing, which I think is from RF interference, likely need to re-wired it using shielded cable or locate a better signal ground.

Then, I bought a bluetooth AUX adapter off Amazon, so I could connect by Bluetooth. I have the magnet mount cradle with a lighting to USB cable running to the 12VDC adapter inside the armrest storage compartment. The Bluetooth adapter came with one that can power both.

https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Bluetoot ... B00GJFGE0K

I found the tape deck hack either on this forum or Youtube. The whole project took a couple days, but cost less than $50, and that was buying parts from Radio Shack. If you buy all the parts online, it would cost a lot less.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”