2004 Infiniti QX56 High Mileage Advice

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
tcoleman
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan
2004 QX56

First, I did read the first post with the rules and recommendations...

My wife drives an infiniti g35 sedan and I love the infiniti brand. I just bought a 2004 Infiniti QX56 with 144k miles. It seems to be taken care of but I want to perform all needed maintenance before I get on the road. I did find out the "brake" light comes on sometimes and the brakes shake moderately. The owner told me it was a sensor but I don't know much about these trucks.

Please advise on 1) important maint. issues to perform and to lookout for and 2) Brake problem common? If so, possible solutions.

Also, I have all manuals except owner's manual. Where can I order one?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have more to come. God Bless.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

The owner's manual is available for download at www.infinititechinfo.com - and I think you can purchase one there too if you want. Assuming you don't have the factory service manual, it's available at www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

The brake light is typically a response to low fluid in the master cycliner.

At this point I would check with your local Infiniti dealer and see if they can give you a print-out of it's service history. They should be able to pull up all dealer work since new. In the absense of any evidence of recent maintence I would flush all of the fluids (ATF, Differential/Transfer Case, Coolant, Brake, Power Steering) and then see what happens from there. The brakes are probably warped rotors... pretty common on that model, and unfortunately on Infiniti and Nissan products in general.

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Heath

tcoleman
2004 QX56

Thanks Heath for the info.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Go to the Infiniti website to download/view recommended maintenance for the QX. You may be able to save some decent money if you get your QX serviced at a Nissan dealership opposed to Infiniti. You should be able to get all your major engine and brake services done for under $2,500.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I really hate to be the harbinger of bad news.

I just read your other thread about the check engine light... Answering the question I left in the that thread about the mileage on your truck...It's not looking good, I hope you got a really good deal.

It appears that the previous owner did not take the best care of this truck, or did not feel like replacing the (expensive) parts that this truck needs to safely operate.

The pulsating and brake lights are more than likely attributed to a faulty Delta Stroke Sensor. Sounds simple enough but the sensor is a non serviceable part of the vacuum booster attached to the brake master cylinder. There is an updated part available and this is not an uncommon repair on higher mileage QX56s.

tcoleman
2004 QX56

I did get what I consider a fair deal. I have been reading up on the common brake problem with the 2004-05 Armada/QX's and I have ordered new rotors. As to the SES light, I received a code that I think may be the left bank cat. but I am taking this the dealer soon to get serviced.

As far as the fluids, it was more precautionary maintenance as it is a used vehicle with high mielage.

As fart as the truck goes; it's in excellent condition (exterior and interior) it just has high miles which I am trying to get serviced so it will last. I do however appreciate the comments and suggestions to keep the truck running and looking great so thank you for your concern.

TC

tcoleman
2004 QX56

SteveTheTech wrote:I really hate to be the harbinger of bad news.

I just read your other thread about the check engine light... Answering the question I left in the that thread about the mileage on your truck...It's not looking good, I hope you got a really good deal.

It appears that the previous owner did not take the best care of this truck, or did not feel like replacing the (expensive) parts that this truck needs to safely operate.

The pulsating and brake lights are more than likely attributed to a faulty Delta Stroke Sensor. Sounds simple enough but the sensor is a non serviceable part of the vacuum booster attached to the brake master cylinder. There is an updated part available and this is not an uncommon repair on higher mileage QX56s.
Took my truck into the dealer today and they said that first they recommend resurfacing rotors, but I know they're junk so I am having them install upgraded rotors today. They said that it might be the delta sensor but the service records indicate they already flashed the abs module once in the past. If the new rotors don't fix it, I guess they'll recommend delta sensor.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”