2004 i35 won't start, need direction

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
tidbitnh
Car: 2004 Infiniti i35
2006 Nissan Murano

Here are the details:
Drove home yesterday after work in hard rain storm. Did drive through a puddle or two along the way. Car ran perfectly and got home without incident.
Went out 4 hours later, car started, made it 30 ft down the driveway, car stalled.
Restarted, then it stalled almost immediately. Then would turn over, but not start. I did notice a faint smell of burning plastic or electronics but was sure where it was coming from.
Pushed it back and parked it. Tried one more time, started, then stalled after a couple seconds.

This morning, turned over, no start. Plugged in the scan tool to get any codes. Tool would not link up with the ecm, tried a half dozen times.

Sounds like the ECM fried? $600+ new, or find one used. Other things to look at or for?
If it is an ECM, do I have to have dealer reprogram for the keys? If so, will the car start after replacing the ECM?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

You should be able to get a code no matter what if the ecm is good. It may be fried. Get one from ebay or a you pull slavage yard. The nats may not have to be reprogrammed since it is a seperate module in the key area.

tidbitnh
2006 Nissan Murano

Thanks for the reply. I will start digging into the problem this weekend. I guess, first thing would be to an inspection and look for anything obvious, the pull the ECM and see if that is the source of the smell.

See what I find.......

tidbitnh
2006 Nissan Murano

Another question.... Where is the ECM located? It is not under the driver's seat. Would it be in center dash behind the ashtray or under the armrest?

B

Fezzik

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/I35/2004_I35/
Will asnwer that question.

The ecm sits right under the a/c control area. the panels right toward the center console under the glove box. remove that and you will see it.

tidbitnh
2006 Nissan Murano

Much appreciated Fezzik.

Bob

tidbitnh
2006 Nissan Murano

Well, just got the ECM out. It is fried. Took off the cover and found the source of the burnt odor. At least now, I know the source.
My next question is, what would cause this? And is there any other component I should look at as the source of this issue?

I don't want to replace the ECM and fry another one. I have seen some threads about an IACV causing an issue, but from what I have seen in the manuals, there is no IACV in an 04 i35.

I would post a couple of photos, but don't know how. :confused:

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Bob

tidbitnh
2006 Nissan Murano

Ok, I think I figure this one out. Here are a couple of photos

url=http://s483.photobucket.com/user/Tidbar ... 4.jpg.html]Image[/url]

Fezzik

That is a common problem with these ecms. I gotta find where the part to replace that is. I think its something to do with the motor mounts frying the IACV and frying the ecm. check the motor mounts.

Try to get an up close shot and see if you can get a replacement chip online.

tidbitnh
2006 Nissan Murano

Fezzik,
Thanks for the tip(s). The chip took out the board too. The damage is a little more extensive than can be seen in the photos. I have ordered a refurbished one after having a company analyze the old one. The only feedback I could gather was the Idle Air Control circuitry was feeding this particular chip. Now running shorter on time to repair this issue, I ordered a new Hitachi throttle body. This should give me all new IAC and TPS. I also intend to check the motor mounts for shorts.

Unfortunately, I have to get the system reprogrammed for the keys to work. I have a lock guy lined up after the repair work is done. I will see what happens then.

Bob

Thanks for the link. I did a lot of reading.

Fezzik

If I recall correctly you can unplug the motor mounts without really any issues.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”