2004 FX35 power steering effort

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
schwarz633
Car: 2004 FX35

The steering wheel on my 2004 FX35 (55K miles) seems more difficult to turn than any other car with power steering that I drive. It doesn't feel like anything is binding, just weak power assist. I had the rack replaced (leaking) under warranty about 9 months ago, but I'm out of warranty now. I was hoping that the power steering pump would have some sort of a pressure adjustment, but after reading through the FSM it doesn't appear that there is anything like that. It mentions doing a pressure relief test, but if it fails the suggested next step is pump disassembly and repair. Is there a kit available for this? Do you think that it will reduce my steering effort? Thanks.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Study your factory service manual you will find tests with a fish weighing scale to pull steering wheels.............~~ 9 pounds max.Racks are adjustable bu setting pinion depth and backlash, as is tire brand make and model plus inflation all of which set steering resistance.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Is it a progressive process or has it always been heavy to you?

If you have the 20s and are stopped the effort is going to be increased. The FX uses a variable mode power assist steering control system and as long as steering assist increases as speed and steering torque input increase than the system is most likely working correctly.

When the car is cold the fluid is going to be thicker and effort will be greater. There are very few vehicles I have seen that require more effort at slow speeds than a 03-06 FX w/ sport and or 20s. I can tell you from my chiropractor bills that the FX tires are heavy.

schwarz633
Car: 2004 FX35

Yes, it has the sport package with the 20's. I don't remember noticing the low assist when I got the car (10K miles ago), so I guess it is somewhat progressive.

You mention the assist increasing with speed. I assume that's engine speed not road speed? In looking at the FSM I don't see any input to the steering system that would make it aware of road speed. What is the pressure sensor used for?

Ideally, wouldn't you want high assist at the lowest engine or road speed when you have to overcome the resistance of the non- or slow-rolling tires, with it decreasing at higher speeds when you're only turning a small amount and the tire resistance is reduced?

Do you think that rebuilding the pump would help?

Thanks

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Oops I gave you some bad information The 2004 FX does not have the variable rate solenoid that many of the other models use. Why I have no idea, but I will look into that a bit more. It doesn't seem to have changed PS effort at increased RPMs in a noticeable amount

The sensor is for the ECM to control idle speed when the steering pressure increases. It also monitors the AC signal to keep the idle speed consistent. The pump varies pressure internally but as you can see from reading the FSM there is very little information on the control.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”