2004 Frontier Passenger Airbag Switch Fix

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

So this is probably not something that's happened to a lot of you, but my trim panel that surrounds the radio and climate controls has apparently gotten crumbly. Couple that with a passenger airbag switch that took some wiggling to get it to move, and it broke off and fell back into the dash last week. I happen to have a little pal who occasionally rides with me who could get more harm than good by being hit in the face with an airbag, so fixing this wasn't optional.

Unfortunately the trim panel is no longer available from Nissan. I would have probably shelled out the $100+ for a new one if it wasn't non-stock, but I guess the truck is old enough to vote, and they aren't going to keep everything in stock forever.

The keyed switch sends ground to one of two wires to control if the airbag is on or off. It took some searching, but I lucked out and found a pushbutton switch that has both a normally open and normally closed output. I think it turned out looking really good, and I actually like not having to use a key to turn the airbag off. I knew it was a good day when even the color codes of the wires matched up! The two unused wires would light up an LED ring around the button, but I didn't need that to work, so I skipped it.

The switch I used is from APIELE, and it's made to fit a 16mm hole, so I had to expand the opening in the dash. I ended up using a drum tip on a Dremel tool for that. The bezel is 17.8mm, which fits perfectly in the recessed hole in the trim piece.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RL ... =UTF8&th=1

Here are some pics.

Niti QX4
Car: 2004 Nissan Xterra

Great fix! Thank you for posting this!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”