2004 5 speed passenger side output seal replacement

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
schuylkill
Car: 2004 Nissan Quest SE

So it looks like the only way to replace the transmission passenger side output shaft seal is by first separating the transmission from the engine? That's not good news.

schuylkill

So I had the van jacked up today after a drive and it's not the tranny seal that is leaking. That's good news. But I do think there is a leak of some sort. I'm going to do some more clean up and see if I can see what's up. It may be from the right side valve cover or something up top on that side. I'll update later if I get more information.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Leaky covers are pretty common. If the leak is small and gradual, the easiest way to pinpoint it is UV dye in the oil.

schuylkill

So it looks like I am losing some transmission fluid after each about 30 mile trip I make. There are no drips under the van. The only wet spot I can find is at what I believe is the speed sensor, located at the bottom of the transmission. Also next to this part is a small black plate that has a coating of oil, but no drips. The plate is towards the front of the engine relative to the sensor (towards the passenger side of van.) In the shop manual for the 5 speed I can't identify this sensor. Can anyone identify it from my description, I can't get my pics to load. I imagine there is a ring seal that can be replaced on this sensor. Also looks like the fluid would need to first be drained. Any advice on loading pictures?
The file I have is 1 mb. I get a message that it isn't possible to determine dimensions of image and to please verify that url entered is correct. I'm just dragging a file from my desktop into this space and it gets listed below as an attachment with the message as I stated. Thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

schuylkill wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:40 pm
The file I have is 1 mb. I get a message that it isn't possible to determine dimensions of image and to please verify that url entered is correct. I'm just dragging a file from my desktop into this space and it gets listed below as an attachment with the message as I stated. Thanks
Use good old PC Paint and do "Image Size" on the pulldown. Check the "pixels" button and set the longer axis to 1000 pixels, the program will automatically adjust the short axis. Then save the reduced file.

schuylkill

Did it 1000 x 562 ratio, file size 1.1 mb and get same message. I have the image in a folder on my desktop. I loaded an image once, can't do it again.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Try using the "Attachment" tab at the bottom when you're in "Full Editor and Preview". That will let you tag and upload the file without drag&drop. After it uploads hit the "display inline" button.

schuylkill

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... p4S1BGU3dn

This is the best I could figure out for now. If you could let me know if this is the speed sensor I'd appreciate it. Also what is the cover? Thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't think that's the VSS. Identifix actually shows all 3 tranny sensors (Revolution, Turbine, VSS) being on the top/back of the housing, but I know there were two different trannies used in '04 and they're only showing one. I can't access ASIST until tomorrow morning, so for now I'm not sure what you're looking at. It would help if you could pan-out the camera shot so I can tell where on the housing I'm looking.

schuylkill

Yeah that's a bad pic for orientation even if you know what you're looking at but it's pretty much center bottom of the transmission. I didn't feel like making a mess today so I removed the ECM and cleaned it up and painted it with very high temp ceramic paint instead of draining the transmission. I'll do that tomorrow so I can remove that part whatever it is and check it out. It looks like the mounting hole would make a good drain hole itself. At least that's the way it looks. I really appreciate your help, I owe you. Maybe I'll hold off until I see what you come up with, I'll try to get a better reference pic up in the morning. I want to take the van on a 100 mile trip over to New Jersey and buy some blueberry plants and I want to feel better about the transmission fluid level situation before I go. Going to visit Mom!

schuylkill

I googled RKO3FB which is the marking on the connector on that sensor and a listing came up on ebay for "Nissan connector transmission speed sensor rk03fb rko3fb oem a80" so that makes me think it is the speed sensor or Nissan equivalent.

schuylkill

VStar650CL if I could ask another favor if you have the OEM part number available for what you find the sensor to be, if I can't find just a seal, that would help me out in getting a replacement. I should be able to get a seal though I would think if I take the original to a parts or hardware store.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I dunno, ASIST shows the VSS being on top at the back of the tranny on the bellhousing side. What are the wire colors, maybe I can figure something out from that?

schuylkill

So I pulled the sensor today and it's p/n is 3409A4 A29 - 680. What I've come up with when searching is that it is a camshaft position sensor. Also there is no gasket on the part. The hole where it mounts is on a seam of two parts and there is a step. So there is a rubber half sleeve that goes into the hole and it has a top flap that is a spacer for the step to get it planar. So the sensor mounts half on the rubber spacer and half on the housing surface. Why there is no gasket confuses me. Why it is a camshaft position sensor confuses me. I just want to stop the leakage, not sure how to proceed. I think first I might just go to a store and look for a rubber washer. Very interesting. I still can't get pictures to load.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That would be your crank sensor. Nissan CKP's and CMP's are practically all Hall Effect, and many interchange positions on various models. I.e., a cam sensor on one engine may be a crank sensor on a different engine. So you can't go by the part description, you have to go by the specific application. In this case, since it's near the bellhousing seam, it's definitely your crank sensor.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - The bellhousing has no fluid in it, so no gasket is needed, just a dust shield. If you're seeing tranny fluid there then the front seal on the trans is probably your leak source.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PPS - Sorry all for the slow replies the last couple days, but I've had my hands full with a '20 Titan EGI Harness at the shop. On a difficulty scale of 0 to 10, the gen2 Titan EGI is a 14.8. It's almost as if it was deliberately designed to be unserviceable, you need to be a 3-handed monkey with 16 fingers and gorilla forearms. Took me 18.7 hours and this 66 year old bod is beat.

schuylkill

I don't know how you guys work constantly on vehicles. Like I don't know how roofers do it. I do those things off and on and I get beat up. My toes still hurt from doing my roof years ago. I'm wearing a thumb brace now off and on from the wrenching on this van.
And besides the physical work, you have to be a mechanical engineer to be top notch. I appreciate your knowledge and sharing it. So I won't be looking for a seal tomorrow.

Return to “Quest Forum”