2004 4x4 R50 engine swap options?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
mattardo
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4

I have a 2004 SE Pathfinder 4x4 I'm anticipating my engine failing at some point. It still runs great at over 266k miles. All the seals have been replaced. No oil leaks either but it does burn a lot of it! I know the motor won't last forever and I plan on keeping the truck for a long time. With that being said, is a direct VQ35DE swap of the same year my only option or can I use the newer VQ35HR engine or some other modified VQ option to increase HP and/or fuel economy when I eventually do the swap? Also where would you recommend getting a new/used VQ engine from for someone living in southern california? Would love to hear your expert advice! Thanks in advance

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

I'm an amateur with this subject matter but I think swapping engines for a different type will be much more costly and difficult than staying with the same engine. ECM, TCM, and numerous wiring changes would be involved if switching engine types. I love the thought of this challenge though, like the amateur I am. As in, amateur from the French and Italian word amatore which comes from the Latin word amator which means lover. :blush:

I am not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

Hawairish
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD

You'd want to stick with a 01-04 R50 VQ for the most straight-forward solution. Since 03-04 were drive-by-wire, you'd have to transfer the throttle body over to a 01-02 donor, which were drive-by-cable, but everything else was practically the same. If you got an 01 with aluminum valve covers (02-04 were plastic), you could continue to use the aluminum ones, which have the advantage of using replaceable spark plug tube seals. The #1 coil is different from #2-#5 on those engines, which are all different from the coils used on the plastic covers, but you can swap over all that stuff. Notably, 01-02 engines were plagued with power valve screws and butterflies coming loose and destroying engines. You either want to avoid those engines altogether, Loctite all the screws on the donor, or transfer your lower intake manifold over.

I have no doubt a VQ40DE from a newer 05+ Nissan truck/SUV will basically fit right in, but that engine or any other VQ will required donor wiring harnesses, ECU, and surely no shortage of other accessories, components, and customizations. Since you live in CA, I imagine it's extremely difficult to do any non-OE engine swap on an OBDII truck, so I'd say abandon that idea.

mattardo
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4

Hawairish wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:18 pm
You'd want to stick with a 01-04 R50 VQ for the most straight-forward solution. Since 03-04 were drive-by-wire, you'd have to transfer the throttle body over to a 01-02 donor, which were drive-by-cable, but everything else was practically the same. If you got an 01 with aluminum valve covers (02-04 were plastic), you could continue to use the aluminum ones, which have the advantage of using replaceable spark plug tube seals. The #1 coil is different from #2-#5 on those engines, which are all different from the coils used on the plastic covers, but you can swap over all that stuff. Notably, 01-02 engines were plagued with power valve screws and butterflies coming loose and destroying engines. You either want to avoid those engines altogether, Loctite all the screws on the donor, or transfer your lower intake manifold over.

I have no doubt a VQ40DE from a newer 05+ Nissan truck/SUV will basically fit right in, but that engine or any other VQ will required donor wiring harnesses, ECU, and surely no shortage of other accessories, components, and customizations. Since you live in CA, I imagine it's extremely difficult to do any non-OE engine swap on an OBDII truck, so I'd say abandon that idea.
Thank you for the insight!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”