2004 350z Battery Charge

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
350Zing

I want to trickle charge my battery as I don't drive the car daily. I used two different "Battery Minder" chargers and both got so hot after 30 minutes of charging (with each) I could barely touch them and gave up. Both chargers work fine on my GM cars that don't have computers (?) I did try using the alligator clips as well as wiring the leads directly to the posts. Battery is in good condition otherwise. Not sure what else to do, any help would be appreciated!

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

What battery do you have in your car? If you have an AGM battery and try using a generic trickle charger on it it won't work. Otherwide there shoudo be no problem, some fo these chargers do get hot, I use a ctek and it gets quite warm.

350Zing

evildky wrote:What battery do you have in your car? If you have an AGM battery and try using a generic trickle charger on it it won't work. Otherwide there shoudo be no problem, some fo these chargers do get hot, I use a ctek and it gets quite warm.

A Rayovac battery is in the car now (installed when I purchased it). Certainly not my first choice but it's ok till I need to replace it. It looks like it's going to be a hassle to check the fluid levels let alone removing it! Anyway, I'm really stumped on this charging issue. Thanks much for your response though!

350Zing

Anyone else experience problems using a trickle charger to maintain a charge on their battery?

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”