2003 VQ35 engine swap to a 2001 Pathfinder

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Dokasully
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

Hello, Wondering if anyone has information or advice on a swap like this. Key points are;

My 2001 Pathfinder with 3.5 ltr with standard transmission blew its engine.

I purchased a 2003 Pathfinder with 3.5 ltr with Auto Transmission for its engine.

All installed. Bit of work but all good.

Engine will not start. I have heard that I will need to pull front & rear timing covers and swap from my old engine ??

Should have checked before all work was done I know (If above work id required)

Appreciate anny advice or previous post on a swap like this.

Thks

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

I'm not the expert, not even by a longshot, but after being here for 12 years, I've learned a few things.
The 2003 engine has a lot of differences compared to the 2001.
The 2001 was the first year of the VQ engine, and Nissan made changes very soon into it's life.
Things like the injectors are different, the throttle body is different. The 2001 is a mechanical throttle, while the 2003 is not.
Maf sensors are different, etc. etc.
I'm also assuming that due to the differences between the two, the ECM's are programmed differently and are not compatible.
I doubt very much that the ECM in your 2001 will like the 2003 engine and all the sensor inputs/outputs.
The other thing is, the standard transmission engine does not have power valves, while the automatic transmission engine has them. Huge difference. Even the horsepower ratings are different.
I think you may need to call in Mcgiver to help you configure the new engine to work in the 2001.

Dokasully
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

Buzzman, Sorry for the delay. I was flying home from work. Appreciate your comments very much. I know now I should have done more research before I tackled this project. If this Pathfinder wasn't in mint condition I would never of even tackled it.

I gotta finish it. I noticed there are quite a few views on my post. I am new to Nico Club.

Hoping I will get other detailed info / advice like yours to confirm. Thks again. Sully

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”