2003 Qx4 Stereo

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
tejesh83

I have an '03 Qx4 w/o navigation. I tried adding a subwoofer & amp w/ the stock reciever (6cd in dash bose) and line-level converter, but I'm still dissatisfied with the sytem. I would like to remove the stock reciever and install an in dash lcd reciever.

Has anyone attempted this yet? I cannot find any screws on the dash panel, and I'm afraid to go at it with a prybar. How does one remove the panel to gain access to the reciever?

Also, the reciever cutout has a strange shape. The right side of the cutout is slightly angled and thus not a perfect square. Any ideas on where I can find a kit for the plastic surround to enclose the new reciever?

I've tried plenty of searching on google, but can only find guides for '01 or older vehicles. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

scruf1986
Car: the car

Did he really just ask that question? LOL. Ok first off yes you can get a kit and a wiring harness and an antenna adapter if needed. I have not looked at the pictures or worked on one but check for any small panals. Sometimes screwes are hidden under these panals. By small I mean like an inch thick and a couple of inches wide. Also make sure you look under any lips or overhangs because they hide screws under there to. Thats the game of installing. Finding the screws.But you said that you put subs in. Did you put an aftermarket amp in. Because you might just need an amp.

tejesh83

Well, that doesn't really help.

I wanted to know where I could find these kits at Crutchfield or Best Buy. I've spent plenty of time searching google but found nothing.

I guess the vehicle is not a popular mod car. At least not yet.

Well, duh. I know I just need to find the screws. Its just that I can't seem to find any. I'll give it another shot. But maybe someone who has worked on this vehicle could shed some light.

As for the subs, they are hooked up to a 300W fosgate amp with a farad cap. The system is loud and thumps, but its just nothing compared to what it sounded like in my 95 maxima. The only difference being the kenwood reciever as I went with the stock in the Qx4. It could be the line level converter, but I extremely doubt it.

Plus, I just really want a cool flip out lcd with DVD/CD/Mp3 and maybe nav...hehe

Any suggestions/advice?

tejesh83

Woohoo!

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/NS-70-00.pdf

pro-fit-intl makes a phone mount for the 03 Qx4. And guess what? They have directions on how to install the mount behind the dash step by step. Part of the process, involves removing the stereo!

It turns out no screws or clips are visible. They are completely hidden in the small gaps between the vent peice and the dash/climate control. Its similar to the 95 Maxima, but again I wanted to be certain. A scratch or crack here would suck.

I'll mess with it over the next few days. Still need to scope out whats back there before buying a new reciever.

I hope this comes in handy to many others!

Now, I still need to find a kit and harness adapter. Any tips? Maybe they'll have some back there for me to use, hehe.

scruf1986
Car: the car

Just call a local car audio store. I look on http://www.installer.com but they didn't have any. Go to a store.

tejesh83

Local shops don't seem to have it yet. One shop quoted me $100 to get one custom cut. That was hilarious.

Circuit City they could make one for $25 xtra if I buy and install the system at CC.

BestKits claims that these models will fit 2002: BKTGN2100B, BKTN2150, and BKUPK750. Which, hopefully mean they also will fit 2003, but they have not tried it. Unfortunately, no local shop carried any of these and bestkits does not sell direct.

I guess I'll be putting my stereo mod on hold for awhile and wait for kits to become available. Or maybe I'll learn how to make the kit myself.

On a side note, I found a nice JL Audio Stealthbox Sub and Enclosure for Pathfinders (91-96). It was strange they only offered it for these years and also not for the Qx4. The rear cargo area has not changed at all and is the exact same in the Qx4. The JL Audio technician said the box will physically fit in the Qx4 and newer model PFs/Qx4s, but they gave up trying to finding matching carpet from their carpet distributors.

I'm thinking about buying it regardless of its contrasting color. I can always get a local carpet shop to recarpet it. It adds a nice finished / OEM look. I've heard these boxes get quite expensive, so I'm not sure if it will be worth it. And, JL doesnt seems to have any online distributors for me to check prices with. An ebay auction is selling it for $600 w/ an amp.

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”