2003 Pathfinder fule consumption SUCKS!

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
2003PATHFINDER2022
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5
2006 Nissan 350Z

Still running with a s*** MAF censor, can't buy a good one, but the only issue as I explained before is the 1500 RPM parade speed nose over and act like I just hit the brakes, if I accelerate quickly thru this 1500 RPM rang there is no sensation of anything going wrong. Point is, this is still a low mileage unit with only 75,000 miles, 5-speed manual, 4-WD, new plugs a year ago, no oil consumption, new, one size taller Firestone A/T tires, diagnostic at inspection station (Costa Rica inspection makes American inspection look like a joke, they are dead serious about poisonous emissions etc) shows the fuel is a clean burn. C R does not sell gasoline under 89 octane and there are no winter additives. Seems the SE-3.5 does not deliver anywhere close to what the factory says it gets.
Town (never out of 2nd and at lowest possible RPM and hardly any hiway use) and a tank of gas goes fast. I just drove my 2006 Nissan 350-Z to Panama border and REALLY enjoyed those 125-130 MPH runs, 3.5, automatic, aluminum block, original MAF etc. 80,000 mile on the clock and even running at those speeds (tires are old and about 65-70 % worn) so of course being respectful of high speed tire failure) the Z gets me twice the mileage of that gas guzzling Pathfinder. LOVE gen two Pathfinders but this one SUCKS gas like a hooker with a coke straw up her nose! Any one else get crap mileage from GEN 2 (only) Pathfinders?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Yeah ... At low speeds around town these heavy guys have a poor weight to power ratio so getting around 15mpg is to be expected. With the taller tires I expect your MPG is even worse than expected. The best modification I did to my "02 4WD was to replace the front wheel drive flanges with manual locking hubs so that I could disconnect the forward drivetrain from the wheels. I rarely ever need 4WD so it's no big deal to me, getting out and locking the hubs when I need to put it in 4WD. I picked up 2mpg with free running locking hubs. That's not a big number but it is a big percentage increase in mileage. I get up to 17mpg around town, driving very conservatively, and up to 21mpg on long haul highway driving at 65mph or less.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

You didn't say what kind of MPG you are getting. Good to some is bad to others.

My '03 Q gets 16 +/- nominally in town, which is half or more freeway. On vacation, mostly highway, but plenty of low speed and 4WD too, I get ~18.5. I've seen 23 once, 22 a couple of times and 20 frequently, but not usually, on the road. Premium makes a ~2% difference over mid grade in my experience. EPA estimates are 15/18 which are actually pretty close to real world IMO. But they're 4300 pound trucks with V8 power, if not quite V8 torque. And 4WD. They're going to be thirsty. 4WD low range which I have used some, I mean that's what I bought it for, can get down to ~7 crawling along. Again, low range to get down that low.

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

I'm getting 16.5 mpg in town in my 2001 Pathfinder with 220k miles (AUTO 4WD). Were I to replace the truck with a 2023 4Runner (closest replacement vehicle) I'd get around 16 mpg in town, 19 mpg on the highway.

2003PATHFINDER2022
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5
2006 Nissan 350Z

Great info guys. 4300 pounds! I never figured that thing to out weigh a 1976 big block Trans Am (3600 lbs.) by 700 pounds. I knew the 4WD drive train had a lot to do with it, i never use the 4WD much at all and not wanting to change the front hubs. As far as MPG we buy fuel by the liter at the pump which means recalculating to gallons and doing the test twice to get results. simply driving and monitoring the gauge tells me the mileage is bad. Good thing I don't need to ever drive in 4WD LOW Mike W., 7 miles to the gallon sounds like a big expense. Thanx all for the info. Fuel mileage aside this generation of Pathfinder is very common and respected here in Centro America, I'm happy to own one, such a great comfortable ride and super strong 4WD when I need it!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”