2003 nissan sentra se-r air intake hose replacement

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
jhuman
Car: 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R

hey guys

this morning I noticed my air intake hose has a couple large cracks in it :facepalm: I'm getting ready to order the replacement part but I was wondering if it's just plug and play or will I have to do an idle re-learn/pedal dance after I put the new air intake hose in? Also am I ok to drive it around while I wait for the new part? I'm assuming these cracks have been there for some time before I noticed them and I have been driving it around without any issues thus far. Anyways, thanks for your help!

iwantafreeconsultiii
Car: 2011 Nissan Sentra 2.0

Speaking from my experience with the 2.0 mr20de engine.
As long as you don't unplug the harness for the throttle body or disconnect the ECM you should not have to perform idle learn procedures. Surprised you don't have p0131, I recently replaced the same intake hose it was torn causing p131 to set check engine light. I'd suggest hooking up a scan tool and monitor the o2 data before and after you replace the intake hose, you can use propane to search for air leaks as well, spray it around entire air intake system down to the intake manifold gasket, and if the o2 read rich you found air leak.

You'll be fine driving around tho, especially if it hasn't thrown a check engine light yet

iwantafreeconsultiii

Love how active this forum is by the way

jhuman

Thanks for the reply! I dont' think I'll need to unplug the harness or disconnect the ECM. But yes, I was absolutely shocked to see the state of the intake hose and that I haven't had any check engine lights pop up. I'll update after I replace.

iwantafreeconsultiii

I know huh!
You'd think check engine light would come on much easier, 2 trip detection logic for ya, I think it's garbage, I want to know when there is the smallest issue, not months down the road when the light finally comes on.
My friends sentra I'm working on, had the air intake hose cracked for many many months before check light came on. He took his car to pep boys for a tune up and a "diagnosis" 'mechanic' told him, "your o2 sensor is going out, needs to be replaced soon". What an a** hat. He said that because he most likely seen the o2 code coming up as intermittent. The o2 was and still is working perfectly fine.

If your able, read your engines data, not the codes.

jhuman

**Update**
So I had a mechanic change out the air intake hose. After driving around a bit, I hear a kind of hissing/air type of noise whenever I'm accelerating. The mechanic mentioned that because the prior hose was totally cracked, what I'm probably hearing now is the air that the engine is sucking in and going through the air filter. Does this sound right to you guys/iwantafreeconsultiii? Thanks for your help!

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”