2003 Nissan max head gasket

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
03artist
Car: 2003 Nissan maxima se

Hey everyone I'm new here, I was reading through the forums trying to find info on changing out the head gasket or if it's even worth it on my 2003 Nissan maxima se. Well a little on it is my wife was driving down the high way and something put a hole in the radiator (she didn't know) she said it started shutting off on her (probably due to overheating) but she said she only drove for about 5 more miles until it quit altogether. I was out of town for work so she towed it to a family friends shop but he doesn't have a clue at all about nissans but said he thinks the head gasket blew and wants about 2500$ to fix it. So yea I'm not gonna pay that much for someone who doesn't have a clue about nissans to do that. I usually try to do the work myself, I've fixed quite a few other things on the max just never got into the engine. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but like I said never got into the engine part of this car. I'm wondering if it's worth trying to get in and see if that's the only issue is a blown head gasket (I will get the heads redone if I do) and If I do do I just get a gasket kit or get a full rebuild kit or say screw it and try to save up for a used engine which I know will be easier to just swap out the engine but then I won't know what's wrong with that engine if anything is. Either way I'm still going to open her up and try to learn what I can just wondering if anyone has any info/input or know of any how tos on changing the head gasket or what else I should look for or change while I do that. Any help at all or input is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Nick

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”