2003 Murano catalytic converter repair

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Rich_M
Car: 2003 Nissan Murano

Afternoon, couple of days ago my Murano threw a service engine soon signal on the dash. I took it the local Christian Brothers auto shop and they came back to me saying the error code was pointing to the front catalytic converters. Repair quote is around 2100 after parts and labor. Parts was near 1500 alone. Does that sound reasonable?

I am brand new to these forums so if I am leaving out normal etiquette I apologize.

Rich.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Welcome to NICO.

Which specific codes were thrown?

A replacement catalytic converter is about $570 for a new OEM part - see here. $1500 is ridiculous, even if both catalytic converters need to be replaced.

Rich_M
Car: 2003 Nissan Murano

Too be honest I don't know what the error was I can call and get it. They said 700+ for each front converter.

JunseiMotors
Car: 2010 Nissan Titan LE
2004 Acura RSX Type S - Supercharged
1986 Toyota AE86 GTS (hatch)

Find out what codes they are getting from the ECM. They might just be wanting to replace both cats because they dont know which one it is. The front cat is cake walk. The rear one is alot harder since you have to remove the sub frame (not if you have the right tools ) and if you are AWD...omg its even worse. Id suggest a dealer diagnosis instead. You might have to pay a DIAG fee but at least you would know for sure what it is, they would tell you what codes were found and you would have some piece of mind and a second opinion. How many miles you got on it?

:werd:

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

If you're looking at a $2100 bill you absolutely should get a second opinion regardless of the issue. There could be a big difference in price but more importantly you can compare the diagnosis and ensure you get the right fix. I can't tell you how many people struggle with improper diagnosis and the repair attempts pile up along with the bills, then they start shopping around and find out that the problem was midiagnosed from the start and they wasted a ton of time and money.

I'd suggest taking it to the dealer who will be very familiar with the nuiances of your specific vehicle, see what price they quote you and get lots of details about the problem and fix they are proposing. If the two diagnosis agree then you know you're on the right track and can move forward with a fix. Also ask questions about part manufacturers, don't just go with the cheapest quote necessarily. If you're unsure, the Nissan OEM parts will be very good quality in the majorty of cases. Good luck.

Wifes03Murano
Car: 03 Nissan Murano

Could not agree more. Take it to the dealer, pay the diagnostic fee. If you are planning on doing the work yourself, I would get parts elsewhere. Lots of people on the site have recommended Rock Auto. I just replaced the right cat (against the firewall) on my '03 2 days ago. It was no picnic, but is do-able. The code thrown by the ECM was a P0420, if that helps.

jessica1220

Why $700+? Its too much. I prefer http://www.cwik.com/ for catalytic converter. Find the lowest price product.

Outkast
Car: 05 Titan 4WD CC, 00 Maxima SE 5spd, 91 TTZ

the rear converters are the most common due to broken welds on the heat shield. The code is P0420. Not sayin' that they don't fail but I have never replaced a front converter,just the rear.

markonion7989

Don't spend that much money. You can get it at more check price.

Hobby03
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano Ti

I have a 2006 Murano RH drive Australian, with exhaust leak near manifold, catalytic converter on firewall side, can't see exactly where it is. Could Outkast or Wife03Murano contact me & fill in some details on dismantling from underneath?

bongo042
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

I have a 03 Pathy. A supposed Nissan expert asking $20 for his opinion told someone else that Nissan made a kit to repair the cat leaks around the seam. The dealership told me to go to a muffler shop and ask them to weld the cracked seam. I'm taking it now, I will follow up and let you know how it goes.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

The Christian Bros. in Plano Texas is ALWAYS the most expensive shop when I compare prices

Return to “Murano Forum”