2003 M45 Spoiler 3rd Brake Light

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
BlueCat57
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

Several questions:

1. Are there any differences between the 2002 and 2003 M45?

2. Any idea how "rare" the Green is?

Now for the real questions:
2003 M45 Rear Spoiler 1.jpg
3. Is the Rear Spoiler pictured a "standard" option?

I asked a Service Manager at my local Infiniti Dealer who was working at an Infiniti dealer in 2003 and they couldn't find a part number for the Spoiler or the 3rd Brake Light in the spoiler. That leads me to think that this might have been a dealer-installed option. I doubt that the original owner would have got it installed aftermarket since they were around 70 at the time they bought it.

4. I believe the 3rd Brake Light in it is burned out. I couldn't find anything online that is a replacement. Any suggestions on a source?
I have NOT yet removed it to look for a part number. The 4 screws are hard to reach and a bit "stuck". I'm trying to be VERY careful to not damage the car. It is so "new" it still has the blue factory protection plastic on the door jams!
And as I am writing this I realized I should look carefully at the spoiler since it may have some sort of product information on it that might help identify it.

Thank you for reading my rambling and I appreciate any replies.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Before you assume it's burned out, peel back the rubber umbilical cover and look for broken wires. The wires in the spoiler kits aren't usually the superflex type and breakage from the constant flexing is common.

BlueCat57
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:40 am
Before you assume it's burned out, peel back the rubber umbilical cover and look for broken wires. The wires in the spoiler kits aren't usually the superflex type and breakage from the constant flexing is common.
23 minutes, not bad. I ask computer questions on Tom's Hardware and often get a reply within a couple of minutes. ;)

Thank you for the suggestion.

I originally figured out how to access the "original" 3rd brake light. After figuring out the assembly was a "push in" not a "pop off" release, I pulled the bulb out and saw that the filament was broken. So I ordered an LED replacement bulb and put it in the socket. Then I went to put the assembly back in and there was no plug to plug it into. I thought it had fallen into the void and kept fishing around for it with my fingers. I didn't want to remove the backseat again because we already did that to replace the trunk pistons. (Thanks to whoever posted instructions in this forum.)

I finally realized that there was a piece of black plastic over the lens which meant that brake light was NEVER functional. Leading me to two conclusions.

1. There was NO plug to find. The filament likely broke due to 20 years of vibration.

2. That the spoiler might have been a factory option. Oh, hmm, I wonder if I can find something for a Gloria model. ARRRGGG! Curiosity kills the cat. I won't do that.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”