2003 Infiniti M45 Neutral Safety Switch

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Dpacheco59
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

Hi everyone I just recently purchased a 2003 M45. I'm having the AT CHECK light come on, my buddy used his snap on scan tool and the only code coming up is a P0605. It says it's for the Park Neutral Position. When I put it in drive is when the light comes on, it will shift hard and then ride perfect afterwards. We both think it could be the Neutral safety switch. I called the dealer and they could t give me a clear answer as to the location. Could anyone tell me where it is located?

Thank you!

EdBwoy

Could you clarify if the code is P0605 or P0705?
the first is an ECM issue, the second a transmission issue.
And how many miles on your car?

I am not very familiar with the transmission, but my perusal of the factory service manual (see link below) seems to point at an entire valve body if the neutral switch needs replaced. Section AT is the most relevant to the transmission.

Dpacheco59

EdBwoy wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 pm
Could you clarify if the code is P0605 or P0705?
the first is an ECM issue, the second a transmission issue.
And how many miles on your car?

I am not very familiar with the transmission, but my perusal of the factory service manual (see link below) seems to point at an entire valve body if the neutral switch needs replaced. Section AT is the most relevant to the transmission.

Well.... I'm an idiot.. ha! It was a P0615 code sorry.

Dpacheco59

Is the switch in the transmission pan? From what the diagnostic guy at my work is telling me. It looks like it might be in there. Any help would be appreciated!

EdBwoy

From the FSM, your code is pointing to either the TCM wires or the PNP relay, not a PNP switch. The relay is inside the cabin I believe.

So, how many miles on the odo?

Dpacheco59

EdBwoy wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:14 pm
From the FSM, your code is pointing to either the TCM wires or the PNP relay, not a PNP switch. The relay is inside the cabin I believe.

So, how many miles on the odo?
133,000. I replaced the starter relay (pnp relay) and it came back on after about 10 minutes. And then every time I would move out of neutral it would come back on. The car starts and runs too.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

You may also check the relevant grounds for corrosion, particularly the ground point by the coolant reservoir tank. It is numbered E42 on PG-16 of the FSM.

EdBwoy

I know you have another thread going about your transmission, in which you said you replaced the switch.

For the sake of posterity, do you mind sharing with us where it is located/ the process of replacement?
Where did you source your replacement and what's the part number, cost etc?
If you've got pictures those always help people having similar issues in the future.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

I'd be interested too in EdBwoy's enquiries. I thought changing the PNP switch on this transmission is replacing the valve body.

Dpacheco59

EdBwoy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 am
I know you have another thread going about your transmission, in which you said you replaced the switch.

For the sake of posterity, do you mind sharing with us where it is located/ the process of replacement?
Where did you source your replacement and what's the part number, cost etc?
If you've got pictures those always help people having similar issues in the future.
So the switch I replaced was located on the shifter Assembly, I sourced the part from advanced auto parts. It’s was the Nuetral Safety Switch part # NS38049 it was about $41.99

I didn’t get pictures.. but it was probably like a 45 minute job with taking apart the console and dash.

One side note: you have to unbolt the glove box to get on bolt for the center console at the top left of the glove box. If you don’t youll rip the mounting tab.

Replacing that switch got rid of the code for the pnp switch.

mrkoffee77
Car: 2004 Infiniti M45

Hi guys, I have an 2004 m45 and I'm having similar issues. The "P" on my dash indicating that I'm in Park is not illuminating but the rest of the gears do illuminate. I was told it may be my neutral safety switch but this car has something called a park neutral position switch instead. There is no code showing so do I remove it and clean it or do I replace it? Anyone have a picture of the whole part? I tried searching pnp switch and nothing coming up. I attached a picture of what I think it may be. Its on the driver's side, above the transmission oil pan.
Attachments
20230904_153910.jpg

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”