2003 Infiniti G35 possible blown head gasket

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
infinitinoob17
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35

Hello, I just joined and needing some major help!

I have a 2003 Infiniti G35.
Just a little back story..

It was running hot and I gave parked it for the last two months.
I have replaced the clutch fan, radiator, and thermostat.
It is still overheating. :cry: :cry:

There is no blue/white smoke, no water in my oil, no knocking.
Everybody I have spoken with has said either the water pump or the head gasket/heads.

I've noticed that even with the new thermostat my heater still isn't kicking on and the water pressure is ridiculous. I tried burping the radiator once I got the new one in. It sent water shooting up out of where the radiator cap was and the overflow. I'm so confused!

A retired mechanic i spoke to said that it was the blown head gasket forcing the water out. Please HELPPP! :wtf2: :wtf2:
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

Sorry, might need even more back story.

How long have you owned the car? Did you purchase used?
Was the problem sudden? Did it work fine one day and then it was overheating quickly the next?

Oh, and welcome to NICO! :)

Hope you can solve your problem,
Lars

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Topic title revised.

PRO TIP: Use The Correct Title. That means, make sure your title has the topic at hand. Don't title something: "I have a question" or "Small concern" or "HELP". Instead title it: "Tire tpms question" or "Rear bumper paint issue". This will get people's attention and most likely garner an answer sooner.

Just out of curiosity, have you taken the vehicle to another shop for a second opinion?

infinitinoob17

larsG35 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:36 pm
Sorry, might need even more back story.

How long have you owned the car? Did you purchase used?
Was the problem sudden? Did it work fine one day and then it was overheating quickly the next?

Oh, and welcome to NICO! :)

Hope you can solve your problem,
Lars

Thank you! Glad to be here :mike

I did purchase it used :rolleyes:
My boyfriend took it to work then came home that evening it he said it was running hot.
It was running fine before he left! (Go figure)
I had a Mazda 6 before this car and did all the work on it. This Infiniti is something else!
Thank you for the response!

infinitinoob17

Rogue One wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:06 pm
Topic title revised.

PRO TIP: Use The Correct Title. That means, make sure your title has the topic at hand. Don't title something: "I have a question" or "Small concern" or "HELP". Instead title it: "Tire tpms question" or "Rear bumper paint issue". This will get people's attention and most likely garner an answer sooner.

Just out of curiosity, have you taken the vehicle to another shop for a second opinion?

Okay, sorry! Thank you for fixing..

I have not taken it to a shop. The retired mechanic came to my house. I don't have anybody with a trailer to haul it, nor extra income to pay somebody to haul it..

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

infinitinoob17 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:03 pm
Rogue One wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:06 pm
Topic title revised.

Okay, sorry! Thank you for fixing..

I have not taken it to a shop. The retired mechanic came to my house. I don't have anybody with a trailer to haul it, nor extra income to pay somebody to haul it..
From your post it sounds as though you may be in over your head financially with a almost fifteen year old vehicle?
Perhaps you may want to consider joining AAA and using their free towing service to have the vehicle towed to your nearest Infiniti dealer.
You should have had the vehicle thoroughly inspected by an Infiniti dealer prior to purchase. Most parts in a almost fifteen year old vehicle are at or near end of life and these vehicles often do not play nice with non OEM parts. OEM parts are expensive so unless you are prepared to spend perhaps thousands of dollars to keep an old vehicle running after the dealer finds all that is wrong consider getting another vehicle.

Just my $.02

Good luck

Telcoman

larsG35
Car: '04 G35 6MT sedan

Hmm, if you are trying to rule out (or confirm) a head gasket problem, probably my first recommendation would be to do a coolant system pressure test and a cylinder leak down test.

When you pump air into the cylinder, if it is a blown head gasket, there would be a drop in pressure and maybe even other evidence if it was leaking into the coolant system (sound or bubbles).

Maybe your mechanic friend has the equipment for these tests? Otherwise I think you can rent these from a Auto parts store. Last option is to buy them - I think you could probably pick them up for ~$150.

QCtech
Car: 2003 Pathfinder LE

Maybe is a silly question, but did you properly bled the air of your radiator using the method on the service manual section of this forum? Air trapped inside the system can damage the water pump and also cause overheating. Do you have any engine light and associated codes that you can provide us ? I know of at least one relay on the IDPM that could make your car run at a higher idle and hence hotter all the time.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”