2003 altima steering problem

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
girlygirl68
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima

I have a 2003 altima with about 60,000 miles. Recently I have noticed the steering is very tight and when making a turn the wheel does not come back on its own. If I did not pull the steering wheel back the car would continue in the turn. It is more pronounced when making left hand turns, but does happen on right turns also just not as bad. My husband checked the tire pressure and the power steering fluid and said it was fine and is now blowing it off like it's all in my head. If you could help that would be great.

Thanks

MaximA32

This generation Altima are known to have the steering linkages binding. I would have that checked before anything else.

Handy man

I also have 2003 Altima with same steering problem slow return.82k miles power steering fluid is full no leaks .I do my own auto repairs when possible could you explain what steering linkages that are binding like steering knuckle or tie rods ? Thank you

driftingmy240sx
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx rb25det

sounds more like an alignment issue (caster angle). i have been a nissan tech since this modelaltima was released and have never seen binding steering linkages. it is common for the inner tie rods to fail (excessive play). i recomed havin the alignment checked, it may ndicate a damaged strut or other component causing excessive caster.

Handy man

Hi, Right on with your diagonstics, in Nashua N.H. no parts finally found joint assy. in Ma. next state over after calling about 15 dealers everybody around here says they have them on bach order. any tips on replacing part my daughter will be home from college this weekend and I have done many repairs cv shafts brakes struts water pumps etc.Do I have to take off rack and pinion?task complete installed joint assembly daughter said car felt like brand new however old man struggled getting pinch spline off of rack and pinion had to cut off with dremal tool was really rusted on looked at my Honda accord 2003 and they have a rubber boot covering joint that might of helped anyways thanks for all your help.
Modified by Handy man at 7:03 AM 3/26/2008

OldmanPurdy
Car: 2002 Altima 3.5SE

Handy man wrote:Hi, Right on with your diagonstics, in Nashua N.H. no parts finally found joint assy. in Ma. next state over after calling about 15 dealers everybody around here says they have them on bach order. any tips on replacing part my daughter will be home from college this weekend and I have done many repairs cv shafts brakes struts water pumps etc.Do I have to take off rack and pinion?
I just removed this part the other day the rack and pinion does not need to be removed this may not be the official way to do i'm not a Nissan tech but it worked for me.

Start by Centering the wheels as best you can then remove the black plastic cover in the drivers footwell that covers the steering input shaft. Next Remove the 14mm nut and bolt that holds the shaft in place and slide the upper end out, now go to the driver side wheel well (with wheel removed) and locate the pinch bolt where the steering shaft attaches to the rack and pinion and remove it (air tools will save alot of time here). Now you need to seperate the tabs a little bit before the shaft can be removed, a second person in the cabin pulling on the shaft while you tap it from the bottom makes this easier.

Question for NSR A32 my local dealer is pretty dumb and of no help when ordering parts with out a specific part # is the part on this page label "4) Upper Shaft" the correct replacement part to order?

http://www.trademotion.com/par...gid=0

mjb196

I am having this same issue, This issue just started and is very pronounced when turning. Turning has a feeling of bump steer? About a year ago the car began squeeking when making a left turn. No one could figure it out.

MaximA32

driftingmy240sx wrote:sounds more like an alignment issue (caster angle). i have been a nissan tech since this modelaltima was released and have never seen binding steering linkages. it is common for the inner tie rods to fail (excessive play). i recomed havin the alignment checked, it may ndicate a damaged strut or other component causing excessive caster.
I've been doing this for quite some time. I've seen quite a few of this generation Altima with binding in the steering linkage. For awhile, I was getting a few of these a month. As I've stated before, I would have the steering linkage checked out for binding in the lower linkage.

OldmanPurdy

mjb196 wrote:I am having this same issue, This issue just started and is very pronounced when turning. Turning has a feeling of bump steer? About a year ago the car began squeeking when making a left turn. No one could figure it out.
Steering linkages don't seem to be a common replacement item in most cars so its reasonable that most mechanics wouldn't think to check it.........I didn't until I looked here. Tell whoever works on your car to check it out because I can tell you it will only get worse not better.

driftingmy240sx
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx rb25det

are you refering to the intermediate shaft the connects the upper column to the rack? or tie rods?

OldmanPurdy

driftingmy240sx wrote:are you refering to the intermediate shaft the connects the upper column to the rack? or tie rods?
Intermediate shaft i suppose it would be called, more specificaly the U-joint on the end of it.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”