2003 Altima RECALL

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
cblazer
Car: 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5

wife and I received notice from Nissan last week stating there is a recall for our Altima for the problem we have been experiencing for some time now which is that the vehicle cuts off without notice going down the road.

Nissan saids in the letter that they want to reprogram the ECM.

Has anyone else taken this Altima in for this recall and if this recall fix ended up fixing their problem or notice any changes period.

Thanks,

Sam in Raleigh

garthog
Car: 2002 nissan altima 2.5s (Full Stillen Exhaust, Stillen QR-Pro, Upgraded E.C.U., Stillen High-Flow in

the 02 had the same problem but they were changing out the cam/crankshaft sensor. that didn't fix my car but i know another guy that hasn't had any problems. i don't think nissan can figure out what the problem actually is and they are just shooting from the hip. they can't fix it but they are just kinda side-tracking the process until they come up with an answer. i'm pretty sure the 02 and 03's are exactly the same but not positive.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

We had four recalls worked on our 2002 Altima:Exhaust Pipe Hanger PinDriver's Air Bag Harness Connector ClipFuel Pump ScreenRear Control Member Inspection

It appears from Nissan's site that the 2003 Altimas have two recalls:2002-2003 Altima Exhaust Pipe Hanger Pin and Pre-Catalysthttp://www.nissanusa.com/ownin...SULT1This was one of the recalls that Nissan did on our 02.

2002-2003 Altima Fuel Pump Screen Recallhttp://www.nissanusa.com/ownin...SULT2This was another recall that was done on our 02. Which reminds me, I need to get my 03 look at by the dealership.

Cblazer, was your recall different from the Exhaust Pipe Hanger Pin or the Fuel Pump Screen recalls?bud

cblazer

Cold_Zero wrote:Cblazer, was your recall different from the Exhaust Pipe Hanger Pin or the Fuel Pump Screen recalls?bud
The recall we received is one stating they are aware of a potential problem with the vehicle shutting off without warning. They also say that they want to re-program the ECM and also we might be eligible to be re-embursed if we spent money on Crank Position Sensor. I can post a summary of the recall letter if you like.

Sam and Jennifer in Raleigh, N.C.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

Cblazer,I would get that recall looked at quick. Crank Angle Sensor is pretty important to be failing.bud

cblazer

Cold_Zero wrote:Cblazer,I would get that recall looked at quick. Crank Angle Sensor is pretty important to be failing.bud
Thanks for your concern. I have replaced that sensor twice. After the second time...the service engine soon light has never come on however the episodes of the vehicle cutting off still exist. My wife and I are taking the vehicle in this week for the recall. Just an FYI...below is a word by word of what our recall letter contained:

Dear Nissan owner: This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Nissan has decided that a defect which related to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2003 model year Nissan Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine. OUr records indicate that you own the Nissan vehicle identified by the Vehicle Identification Number on the cover of this notice.

On some 2003 model year Nissan Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine, there is a possibility that the engine might stop running while being driven due to an electrical problem between the crank angle sensor and the Electronic Control Module (engine computer). This may also result in the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on. If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash without warning.

In order to prevent this incident from occurring, your Nissan dealer will reprogram the Electronic Control Moddule. This free service should take about one hour to complete, but your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule, or parts availability.

Contact your Nissan at your earliest convenience in order to arrange an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. If the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on, contact your delaer as soon as possible to have your vehicle inspected. Please bring this notice with you when you keep your service appointment. Instructions have been sent to your Nissan dealer. If the dealer fails, or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge, you may contact the National Consumer Affairs Department, Nissan North America, Inc., P.O. Box 685003, Franklin, TN 37068-5003. The toll free number is 1-8--0NISSAN1 (1-800-647-7261). You may also contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, SW., Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

If you have paid to have a crank position sensor replaced prior to this campaign, you may be eligible for reimbursement of the related expense. Contact Nissan Consumer Affairs at the numbers listed above for additional information on how to obtain a reimbursement.

Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

Thank you for your cooperation. We are indeed sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

cblazer

service engine soon light came on again. Glad there is a recall. Vehicle has cut off several times. All this after replacing crank position sensor twice and enduring cut off episodes. Dropped the Altima off at the Dealership Tuesday Night. I hope this recall campaign fixes our Nissan. Time will tell.

Sam in Raleigh.

gafini
Car: nissan altima 2003

Knowing about the Altima 2003 recall for faulty crankshaft sensor, when we took in the car to the dealer they said VIN number (recall for some productions dates did not include my car) However they would reprogram the ECM computor (re Nissan as a solution in their technical advisements) which was to solve the stall issues When leaving the dealer suddenly know there were odd whining noises, and "service needed" light on.Returning to dealer, all of a sudden after getting a clean bill of health , now a new sensor and throttle head needed at a cost of $840. Since then although the "cut" outs were to have been fixed with ECM reprogram, the car now stalls (low speed or idling) constantly.As far as I am concerned this is too much of a coincidence. Either the local dealer service shop are completely inept or this is a "cover up" by Nissan.On Nov. 17 2007 nissan included even more 2003 recalls in an announcement.I have lodged complaints but they have been stalling for several weeks. I have asked as the crankshaft sensor is defective, that part be replaced for free. Note the "problem began at 48,000 miles on the cusp of warranty limits.Hope this helps.Gabrielle

Return to “Altima General Discussions”