2003 Altima ABS

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
outThere
Car: 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE
2004 Sentra
2006 Chevy Malibu

First thanks for the factory service manual. 2nd I have an ABS issue with my 2003 Altima. When i drive i hear the ABS mechanical noise the ABS light comes on. In the service manual looks like the noise is normal and over 4mph. Any tips on how to figure out which wheel sensor or if it is the ABS unit itself. 3rd are there any 3rd party tools that do what the consul2/3 do.

nando989
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima S

Any scan tool that has abs capability will tell you the code and some will actually show live data from each wheel speed sensor while driving it. Autel makes an affordable scan tool and so does launch.

outThere
2004 Sentra
2006 Chevy Malibu

thanks for your reply , yeah my scan tool does show each wheel sensor, one sensor is intermittent. going to take the hub off and make sure there is not a lot of crud on the hub part of the timing fence. i have another question, well actually 2. I went to bleed the brakes and the left front line was completely dry. going to disconnect the line at the top of the ABS and open the bleed screw and blow air through. MY SCANTOOL shows the in and out solenoids too for the ABS. When i drive makes a Humming noise..loud, after awhile. The sometimes the ABS light comes on. No fault codes. If I have to replace the ABS does it need to be flashed or can i get one from EBAY? No info on this in the service manual. Any ideas?

And now something totally different, just came to mind the back left door is stuck closed. the clicker i hear the solenoid make a pain full buzzing noise. inside out side handles nothing. i don't think i can take the door cover off has flashings around either side that go into the sill area when the door is closed.

outThere
2004 Sentra
2006 Chevy Malibu

I took the brake line off of the caliper and brake fluid flowed out so the caliper is probably clogged. I was thinking of taking the bleed screw out and blowing air in through the line port. Then thought again probably would unclog might push some of the crud into the piston cavity so I opted for a new caliper. I do not have the time to rebuild.

nando989
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima S

Humming noise could be an indication of a bad wheel bearing. Could explain why your abs signal is intermittent?. I looked On all data for your abs actuator Disconnect the battery. Remove windshield wiper motor and linkage. Drain brake fluid. Disconnect harness from actuator and electronic unit. Disconnect brake lines. Then remove 5 nuts and bolts for actuator,and remove. Reinstall reverse order then make sure you bleed air out of it. Then reconnect the battery. Doesn’t say it needs programming. Rear door is going to be a pain. Might have to do some damage to get to the components required to open the door. I would suggest going to the junk yard and finding the same door panel and rip the old one off. While your at the junk yard take the components for the locks. Try pushing the door from the outside while manually working the door lock. Same with the inside. Try as much as you can to get the door opened. Good luck

outThere
2004 Sentra
2006 Chevy Malibu

since i removed the brake line on the left caliper and fluid came out i replaced that caliper and bled all the brakes...seems that is what was needed. I drove the car no sounds from the ABS. The ABS light still illuminates, I looked at the wheel speed sensors w/ a scan tool and the back left is intermittent. I think there is probably a chunk of rust that flaked off in there. going to take the hub off and look.

The door, what i did is take the outer cover off the door on the right side. going to see just were the lock is and where to squirt some lube from the window channel. let it sit for a day or so then start banging the door with a rubber mallet on both sides of the door AND in the wheel well on the other side of where the latch is. if that does not work thinking about cutting off the inner cover on the door and possibly drilling through the inside door metal and the lock. was also thinking about those wires they use to cut windshields out with and maybe passing one from one side of the door to the other and cutting through the active part of the latch....if plastic. also drilling through the wheel well between both of the frame latch attach points, then breaking the active part of the door latch, again if plastic. then weld up the hole.

outThere
2004 Sentra
2006 Chevy Malibu

update i replaced the driver side caliper, think it was partially clogged. i also replaced the driver side wheel sensor now the ABS is ok. I took the back seat out, took the screws out of the back driver side door cover. and pulled the cover off starting at bottom left. probed the lock finally the locked door opened.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”