2002 Valve cover gasket replacement

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
gr0ver

Hey there, new to the forums, did some searching both online and in here, didn't see much specific to this. Has anyone replaced the valve cover gaskets (both) on their 3500 V6 Pathy? Driver looks easy-ish, passenger, not so much.

What's involved? Difficult? How many hours am I looking at?

Any insight or info is appreciated, thanks!

Jason

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Welcome to Nico!

I haven't done it myself, but looked into it because I'd like to be sure the baffles aren't clogged (something to check yourself, while you have them off). The Chilton manual isn't specific about the steps, so there probably aren't any secret but necessary tricks. If you follow the steps to remove the intake manifold and replace the spark plugs you'll probably be at least most of the way there. There may be a more up to date guide (with working pictures) on removing the intake manifold, but here's the link for putting threadlocker on the power valve screws (something else to do regardless while you're in there if you haven't already). This one will show you how to replace the spark plugs.

It's recommended you buy a new gasket set for the intake manifold when you disassemble it, though if it's still newish you can probably forego that. I recommend Fel-Pro for gaskets (I used Fel-Pro MS 96455). For the valve cover gaskets, I am planning on using Ishino W0133-1725949-ISH since it also includes the spark plug well gaskets and valve cover sealing washers.

If you're like me and like to have a book as a guide in addition the resources here, I highly recommend getting the Chilton guide.

As far as amount of time, it sort of depends since it's somewhat involved (not difficult, more time consuming). If you've removed the intake and your spark plugs before, then you could probably get this done in an afternoon to a day. If you can't be certain you won't need a trip to the parts store for extra tools and such, that's more time you can plan for. Overall, if you're a confident wrencher, you can easily expect to get this done over the weekend. If you're still learning the wrenchy ropes, plan for longer. Either way, take your time, make sure you keep the bolts in the right order and you'll probably be fine!

One other thing you'll want to do while you have everything apart is to replace the PCV valve. It's only accessible by removing the intake manifold and is under $10.

gr0ver

Great information, thank you! Just picked it up, 224K on it, has had a lot of good, regular maintenance, except for this (and probably the PCV). It's actually a friends, but I'll likely be helping with most of the work since I'm the DIYer. Thank you again, this will prove very useful.

Jason

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

I know how that goes :biggrin: Let us know how it works out!

TheRoadVirus
Car: 2002 Pathfinder

Hello all, :wavey:

I have started buying the parts needed to do this job but was wondering what else I should replace while I'm at it? So far I'm looking at...

Intake manifold gasket
Valve cover Gasket set including all the grommets
PCV Valve
Knock Sensor

Is there anything else under there that I should replace while I have the top of the engine apart? Any suggestions will be appreciated. :bowrofl:

heavy hitter
Car: 2001 QX4

Be prepared to break a couple vacuum hoses under there as they get quite brittle. I broke the pcv hose as well as the large rbreather hose when doing mine

heavy hitter

I’d do the spark plugs while you’ve got the manifolds off too. And probably the second thermostat on the back of the manifold also

fleurys
Car: 2001 Pathfinder , Locked and loaded !

get the iacv gasket and replace it for preventive maintenance... This 3$ part could save you from buying a new ecu.... you'll have the part in your hands so no extra time really.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 60&jsn=382

abnrjd
Car: 2004 nissan path (LE)

Be patient and buy new gaskets for the upper and lower pellums and vacuum hoses. You might want to invest in a Haynes or Chilton manual, I have a Haynes manual and it's a life saver. If you clean all the carbon out of the pellums it will throw you're idle rpms off and there is no way to adjust this yourself so hit the dealership for that. I bought the new valve covers from Rockauto as with all my parts.

heavy hitter

abnrjd wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:48 am
Be patient and buy new gaskets for the upper and lower pellums and vacuum hoses. You might want to invest in a Haynes or Chilton manual, I have a Haynes manual and it's a life saver. If you clean all the carbon out of the pellums it will throw you're idle rpms off and there is no way to adjust this yourself so hit the dealership for that. I bought the new valve covers from Rockauto as with all my parts.
you should be able to do the different relearn procedures and get your idle back to normal. do the loctite on the powervalves while youre under there as well if this is an auto transmission. clean out the iacv and apply the new gasket and o ring and do the throttle body coolant bypass to avoid failure which can fry the ecu. this job is time consuming...but definitely possible for a diy'er. id change spark plugs too while youre at it as youll already have the covers off and theyre much easier to replace this way. The job will probably take you 3-4 hours depending on what problems you run into. torque the manifolds down per the fsm pattern here https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/N ... 3f80376834
5th picture down shows the order to tighten them in.
check all vaccum lines and replace any that are cracked or worn. also...make sure and get the pcv valve insulator if youre replacing the valve as this part will probably break upon removal.

heavy hitter

also....if this is one of the vq35de with the aluminum valve covers i would replace the spark plug seals as well....if its a plastic manifold these are not serviceable. be careful removing them if they are plastic as they can be brittle

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”