2002 Sentra Rack removal and install

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
outThere
Car: 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE
2004 Sentra
2006 Chevy Malibu

Hi I bought a 2002 Sentra GXE used and am getting it ready for inspection. I did notice it has about a 1/4" of play in the steering. I believe the max play to reject the car in a Maryland inspection is .40 or almost a half inch.....or do they bother unless it is really event when driving the car. Anyway just wanted to know in case i have to replace or for future reference how to remove the rack and pinion steering. so to remove the intermediate steering shaft from the stub shaft , what is the best way and the whole unit from the car. BTW thanks for the service manaul

macgiver

You have'nt disclose exactly where you dicover this play ,and I'm assuming it's loose backlash , on ether side , and out to the wheels - not talking about steering wheel manipulation . Here goes typical fixes for all those:
Steering play (rack/pin INTERNAL) is adjusted via a Screw & locknut under rack ,drvr's side -do the specs.
Outer tie rod , easily replace one or both .
Inner tie rod , the "least probable " usually (test by push - pull on skinney "rod" near the rack boots ,whl off ground). SOME can be replaced , I don't know if any needing that ,needs rack dropped for benchwork or if
yours IS possible to R & R inners on the vehicle.

I get you don't want to get rejected , but DO try to figure somehow that your REALLY that bad - loose?
And point is ,your asking "how do I drop my rack" and ,luckily ,I don't think your there yet at all , do homework here ! :chuckle: I'm not specifically familiar with that car - SOME racks,to remove , labor-wise are extremely expensive , let alone if inner tie rod repair , or replacement cost of rack double $$$ + $$$ .

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”