2002 Q45 window panel

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
F50Enthusiast
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45

Hello. I'm trying to reach my window motor as I now know it failed, but I can't get this black panel to come off:
https://imgur.com/gallery/CIMo9tr

I've removed all bolts on the perimeter and all the bolts holding the regulator to the panel, but it still feels like there's a ton of resistance and it doesn't wiggle much at all, even with most visible bolts removed. What am I missing?

StitchedQ
Car: 1991 Infiniti Q45

Have you removed the glass already (hard to tell from the picture)?

The glass is attached to the regulator (which the regulator is attached to that black panel). You can access the bolts holding the glass by taking off those 2 vinyl circles in the middle LH (around the wiring) and middle RH area (smaller vinyl plastic circle) and then lining up the glass by lowering/raising the window as needed (you'll want to re-attach your regulator for this)

If you've taken the glass off already, the black panel has a mild adhesive all the way around it. Its not really a glue, but with temperature/age, it does tend to get kind of sticky and you might need to apply a little more pressure to get it to break loose.

F50Enthusiast

StitchedQ wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:29 pm
Have you removed the glass already (hard to tell from the picture)?

The glass is attached to the regulator (which the regulator is attached to that black panel). You can access the bolts holding the glass by taking off those 2 vinyl circles in the middle LH (around the wiring) and middle RH area (smaller vinyl plastic circle) and then lining up the glass by lowering/raising the window as needed (you'll want to re-attach your regulator for this)

If you've taken the glass off already, the black panel has a mild adhesive all the way around it. Its not really a glue, but with temperature/age, it does tend to get kind of sticky and you might need to apply a little more pressure to get it to break loose.

Oh so that is adhesive? Yeah I was reading about that step with bolts behind the vinyl plastic, but since the window motor isn't working, I couldn't access those bolts holding the window to the regulator. So unbolting the regulator from the panel should allow it to come off?Thanks for the input 👍

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you can't drop the window it's a problem, that panel won't come off with the window attached. Not sure on a Q, but usually you can get the panel loose and drop it and the pane just far enough to get at the pane retaining screws with a flat wrench. If it won't move enough to do that, then see if you can wedge it out far enough to get at the motor screws, with the motor removed you can crank the regulator manually. If that isn't practical, if it's a cable regulator, you can cut the cable on both sides and push the pane down (of course that means a new regulator). As a last resort, get out your holesaw.

F50Enthusiast

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:15 pm
If you can't drop the window it's a problem, that panel won't come off with the window attached. Not sure on a Q, but usually you can get the panel loose and drop it and the pane just far enough to get at the pane retaining screws with a flat wrench. If it won't move enough to do that, then see if you can wedge it out far enough to get at the motor screws, with the motor removed you can crank the regulator manually. If that isn't practical, if it's a cable regulator, you can cut the cable on both sides and push the pane down (of course that means a new regulator). As a last resort, get out your holesaw.

So it turned out to be the adhesive to be the only thing holding on the panel to the door. It's really on there,so I tried to pry harder, and it came off. After opening the panel, I found that the regulator had fallen into the door frame.

So the regulator is being supported by the door, while the regulator is supporting the window weight:

https://imgur.com/VYrreVx

I guess if your window motor goes out, you have to unbolt it from the panel and let it fall into the door frame about 2 inches. Now I'm off to get a new motor, roll the window down, unbolt it like it should have before the panel was removed, and install everything back on the right way.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”