2002 Q45 dies

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Aquaholic21
Car: 2002 Q45

About to hit 200K miles. After driving about an hour in the heat the car will die...no codes, just dies. Not overheating, no warning. Let it cool down 20-30 mins and it will start right up and run fine. Any ideas?
:wtf2:

EdBwoy

1. What happens if you attempt to restart it within this 20-30 minute cool down window, say start it 5 minutes (or even immediately) after it dies?
2. How does it die - drop in RPM stumbling and shutting or an abrupt cut of power?

That will help determine which of these likely ones is the culprit:
Fuel pump
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Mass airflow sensor

You can eliminate the components whose replacement histories you are certain about.
Example - 02-q45-stalled-on-freeway-t621497.html

macgiver

I betcha Edbwoy's right , first get a pressure gauge on the fuel rail , one you leave in there , preferably w long enough hose to duct tape to windshield low down , if you have to . The other three he mentions are of course next on the diagnosis - but are VERY expensive . Eliminate "fuel" first , gauge & a hose is CHEAP and good to have to boot . :yesnod

Aquaholic21

Attempting to restart immediately will get it to crank only, waiting a few minutes will get it to fire, but not run for more than a second.

Abrupt cut in power is how it dies.

Background: last month had this issue, but turning off the A/C and the radio, it would run. Turned out the motor mounts were bad and tore a ground. Replaced the motor mounts and added a couple ground straps, been running great. It's rare to sit in traffic an hour, so haven't been able to replicate, but don't want my wife to drive it until I'm sure it won't die on her.

Is there a way to check the above sensors and see if they're on the way out?

This reminds me of when my 1968 Jeep got vapor lock when I took it in a 4th of July parade.

EdBwoy

You can take the sensor out and do some electrical tests as outlined in the service manual.
Another test you can do to isolate the camshaft sensor and keep the car running is to jab the gas pedal as you attempt to start it. In a situation that you said it would typically run but die shortly after, it could stay running.

Otherwise, as I usually say, if you have no history of its replacement, just go ahead and replace the camshaft sensor.
Your issues are typical symptoms of it, just like the link I posted earlier.

Aquaholic21

I've been able to duplicate the problem! No issues running down the road, but stopping in a parking lot, or center turn lane the car will sometimes die instead of idle.

Thank you EdBwoy, I'll be getting a gauge and ordering a cam sensor.

Does anyone have experience with these fuel pumps? https://www.fuelpumpfactory.com/product ... 20Shopping

I believe for sensors and such OEM is best, this fuel pump is so much cheaper than OEM.

macgiver

Keep in mind how these car's "Controllers" drop the voltage to F/pump considerably @ IDLE / Off idle . Mine goes full B+ battery voltage (less the power transistor junction drop) ABOVE 2k rpm's ('93 J30) , Q's will do this ,but I don't know if they have a "gradual' or "stepped" increases in power to F/pump - unlike my Big jump to FULL voltage after the 2k rpm!

So , a weak pump may not make it while "controlled on the down-Lo" , all these things I mention WILL show in
a pressure gauge tapped @ the rail . :crazy:

Aquaholic21

When trying to hook up the fuel pressure gauge, I found a vacuum hose that had been left off during the motor mount replacement (the small hose that goes into the large rubber intake hose on the engine side of the MAF.

Also used a found a P0340 cam sensor code.

The gauge didn't work so I don't know my fuel pressures (or we had the wrong line).

macgiver

That goofy little hose , always comes off , and in the end never (J30 similar ?), for me ever been a source of a problem I was trying to diagnose. Cam sensor code is obviously significant , in lieu of whether or not you can get a F/pump up to "rail " pressure tested.

sOCalF50
Car: Infiniti Q45 f50

Could be alot of things. But...an engine needs 4 things to run. Air,fuel,spark,and electricity. If your engine is bogging out at idle or during drive, or misfiring. It MIGHT have to do with something along ur fuel system.Maybe clogged injector or worse a fuel pump. My 2005 q45 premium recently started misfiring and I changed out the spark plugs did a fuel system cleaner just to find out it was a fuel pump lol ( but no lol) lesson here is. Have the proper tools and diagnosis before anything. At least I have new spark plugs I guess.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”