2002 I35 Won't Start Sometimes

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
jsettle10
Car: 2002 Infiniti I35

OK, here is what is happening
Car died at stop light, but started again after about 20 minutes. While I was trying to start it, it cranked fine, but just would not fire, though it felt like it might sometimes.
Drove it to work for five days. No problems. Car runs great on highway and in town. I go to the store one day after work and come out and it wont start. I let it sit for 20 minutes and it starts right up. Driven it a couple of times, but am getting afraid to take it far and it has ran fine.
It has a new alternator (7000 miles or so since it was changed), and new battery (replaced in March).
No check engine light and security light turns off when it is trying to start.
I am leaning toward a fuel pump going out, but it fires right off except for the two times. It runs smooth and I have not noticed any drop in power when I put my foot in it.
Any help would be appreciated. I hate to start down a rabbit hole trying to find the culprit.

Maxcruiser
Car: 01 Maxima

I had a similar issue in my previous car. It would start but when it heated up it would stall out.
This I dont believe is YOUR problem but it turned out to be the torque converter clutch solenoid.
Basically a small solenoid in the valve body.
I basically just unplugged it and the car would run fine.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”