02 I35 stalls /loses power

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
apeman
Car: 2002 Infiniti I35

First, I did a search, but since I'm not a mechanic I might not have made the right search.

My car has 97,000 miles.

I drove the car 15 miles on the highway - no problem. Parked the vehicle and turned it off for 8 minutes - no problem. Drove the car about a mile - no problem. Stopped at a stop sign and tried to move forward - problem. The car had electrical power, but the gas pedal did nothing. Pushed the pedal a couple times - nada. :confused: Put it in park, engine revved when I pushed the gas. Back into drive - nada. Dropped it down into a lower gear and pushed the pedal - at some point the pedal suddenly became responsive for a second. Repeated about 3 times to get it into my driveway (I was just around the block from my house). Turned the vehicle completely off and restarted. At this point I noticed a low whining or whirring noise from the engine that increased or became more noticible as the engine settled into idle. Turned off car again - this time it would not restart. Electrical power in the cab, but engine won't turn over like the battery is dead. The battery is 1 year old. Hooked up the charger to the battery and was able to start it again, but it continued to have no responsiveness to the gas pedal except in park, and the whining noise was still apparent. There are no engine lights or such lit when the car is on and I have not had any problems like this since I boughht the car in 2005.

I'm obviously going to take it in, but I'd like to have an idea what's wrong with it beforehand.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Welcome,

Have you had the codes retrieved? With that kind of issue you should have something set somewhere.

There are far too many possibilities to take a shot at this with any sort of accuracy.

I'd strongly suggest having someone take a look at it.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”