2002 Altima Service Engine Soon light will not light up

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
sheltn4

I have a 2002 Altima SE V6 automatic. The Service Engine Soon light will not light up. The car has around 182,000 miles. I have known about this issue for over a year but didn't do anything about it. Now I have to get the car smogged and if that light will not come on it will be an automatic failure. This is not a bulb it is a LED. I have removed the cluster and installed a new LED, no go. I bought a part numbers matching used cluster and installed that, still no go. So I don't know where to go from here. The dealer quoted me over 400 dollars for a new cluster but I don't believe it to be a cluster issue. Could it be the ECM? Any ideas? The car runs fine otherwise. Just so I am clear, the service engine soon light is suppose to illuminate for a couple of seconds when starting the engine and then go off. This will not work.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

sheltn4 wrote:I have a 2002 Altima SE V6 automatic. The Service Engine Soon light will not light up. The car has around 182,000 miles. I have known about this issue for over a year but didn't do anything about it. Now I have to get the car smogged and if that light will not come on it will be an automatic failure. This is not a bulb it is a LED. I have removed the cluster and installed a new LED, no go. I bought a part numbers matching used cluster and installed that, still no go. So I don't know where to go from here. The dealer quoted me over 400 dollars for a new cluster but I don't believe it to be a cluster issue. Could it be the ECM? Any ideas? The car runs fine otherwise. Just so I am clear, the service engine soon light is suppose to illuminate for a couple of seconds when starting the engine and then go off. This will not work.
i manage a junk yard - i could get you a cluster if you want. doubt it will be expensive. and cant they just plug into the OBD to avoid even looking at the cluster?

sheltn4

I already tried a used cluster and still the same results. In my area, part of the smog check is a visual confirmation of the check engine light illuminating. There is no way around it unless you find a technician that will noy confirm it. I might go the referee direction and get a 2 year waiver if I qualify for the waiver. But thanks for the offer.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

sheltn4 wrote:I already tried a used cluster and still the same results. In my area, part of the smog check is a visual confirmation of the check engine light illuminating. There is no way around it unless you find a technician that will noy confirm it. I might go the referee direction and get a 2 year waiver if I qualify for the waiver. But thanks for the offer.
where do you live?

sheltn4

Santa Clara county in California

cobra1231
Car: 2002 altima

did you ever find out what the problem was with the check engine light

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”