2001 Qx4 starts, dies immediately

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Tibadeaux
Car: 2001 Infiniti Qx4

I recently replaced the crankshaft pulley on a 2001 Qx4. Now the vehicle struggles to start or starts and dies immediately. Could really use some help. I'm guessing its timing as I have already replaced the MAF and tested fuel pump relay (ok).
So it started when I came into possession of a Qx4 with some power steering issues and a nasty vibration in the front. Turns out the power steering pump was not tightened and the belt was slipping on the pulley. Simple fix. But the more pressing matter was the bent crankshaft pulley. Still haven't figured out how it bent in the first place, but it was the source of the major vibration. I replaced the crankshaft pulley and put new belts on as well. I dont believe the crank turned while i replaced the pulley, but im honestly not sure. The plugs and wires as well as the coil have all been replaced as well.
I'm am looking at having a timing job on my hands???
Also, is it something I can do myself? I have a fair amount of automotive experience but I am not a certified mechanic, just a guy that can typically fix things. Is it simple enough that I should be able to do it without any specialized tools or should I just send it to a shop???

MisterH
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

From your brief description it sounds like your timing chain jumped a tooth or two. Excessively worn out tensioners can make for a slack timing chain that can cause that. You indicate you recently acquired the vehicle but you don't say if the starting/running problem was present when you first got it. How many miles on the odometer?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”