2001 QX4 engine died 5 times in the Whataburger drive thru

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Fosty
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 2WD

Started back up again once I put it in park and turned off the key.
Battery and oil light come on, but the battery is still working because AC turns on and windows go up and down.

Here is a video of it happening after I got home (ignore the food munching)

What do you guys think it might be? I've heard it could be the Idle Air Control Valve, a transmission solenoid, or maybe even the fuel pump.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

The idle is steady and right at 750rpm where it should be so IACV is not likely. Not driving so transmission has got nothing to do with this. The battery and oil light come on because the car died. My guess is that it was choked out for lack fuel. At idle, your fuel pressure regulator should be wide open, sending most of the fuel delivered by the fuel pump, back into the fuel tank. A weak fuel pump will not create enough pressure to feed the engine. Misfires while driving with a weak fuel pump is typical but since you did not indicate that is happening, I can only guess. The way it choked out, I still think it might be a fuel delivery issue (weak pump, clogged filter, injector problem). Pressure test the fuel system and find out if that's the issue or not.
Last edited by mdmellott on Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macgiver

I think getting some streamed data , even codes scanning would help the "guys here " to zero in better for you , ask around , like I don't know IF you have a good 'data stream scanner" on you ? Tho

Fosty

To be honest, I don't know what a misfire sounds or looks like, so I'm not sure if I'm experiencing it while driving. I changed the fuel filter this year, and also tested the injectors (albeit with a rather janky setup) this year too so I THINK they are okay.

I'll go do a code check in a minute. I didn't think to do it because I haven't got an engine light...yet.

macgiver

Right - video shows an IMMEDIATE DROPPOUT ........like a 'spinal-cord hit' kinda quiet and very very abrupt ?? Is a "key".
My observation , now :confused:
I see misfire as a kind of " spitting / bumbling " while dropping out ? right ?........not your situation ??

Something just seems to cleanly , and VERY abruptly " LET GO "

p.s. was burger good ? Did it make up for some of this Szhitt ?? :lolling:

macgiver

Also could be some kind MRI - like magnetic FIELD / EMP around the drivethrough , they take advantage of to SELL MORE " GREAT TASTING BURGERS " ? ( Samuel L Jackson :rotflmao quote )
While your vehicle temporarily DEAD ? ?......................after all ...............ya finished yours IN the car ? Right ?
I'm just asking ...................ONLY at Whataburger............nah ......ya ????

macgiver

Where again did you get that burgher ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnb_3ibUp38
a tasty drink....wash it down ... ?? :spitout: :lolling:

Fosty

Not getting any codes. A few times today at red lights it dropped down to 400 and shook a bit.

Also, I put a new MAF Sensor in a few months ago, so I don't think it's that. Air filter is still pretty new too.

mdmellott

Pressure test the fuel system and find out if that's the issue or not. Here the the complete write up on how to do the fuel pressure tests.
Attachments
Fuel Pressure Tests.jpg
Fuel Pressure Tests.jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 392 times

Fosty

So is this where I want to tie the fuel gauge in, or should it be before the damper?
Attachments
Fuel Pressure.png

mdmellott

Fosty wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:29 pm
So is this where I want to tie the fuel gauge in, or should it be before the damper?
No. That's the vacuum line for the damper and there is no easy access to tap the line before the damper within the engine bay. As written up in the Haynes Repair Manual page I posted, tapping the fuel line at the fuel filter is the easiest access to installing the gauge.

mvmcali
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

you know everybody read this post because of the whataburger reference :rotfl

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”