2001 QX4 Air Intake List and Question

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Chedman13
Car: 2003 Infiniti FX45 AWD VK45DE

Here is a list of the Air Intake Choices so it's easier for new people to find them, I know I had a hard time to locate these:

1) Stillen Intake ~$180 at http://www.stillen.com Just make sure you search for a Nissan Pathfiner 2002.

2) Franken Intake ~$200 at http://www.frankencar.com/prod...x.htm

3) K&N AirCharger ~$260 at http://www.knfilterchargers.co...-1087

4) Cone Filter Intake ~$120 at http://www.4x4parts.com/public...542d2

or just look at http://www.4x4parts.com if that link doesn't work and search under performance, air intake, qx4/pathfinder 3.5L

Okay, now I have a question. Which is the best intake??? Right now I am saying, Fraken ties with K&N, then Stillen, and Cone.

K&N's AirCharger doesn't let you attach the emission control where it looks from the picture that Fraken does.

Will K&N's AirCharger hurt my car at all? I don't mind too much but still feel strange not having a part connected to my car (emission control). Also, it's "illegal." But of course that wouldn't scare me away from buying it...

Anyone with the AirCharger have any problems/comments?

leeQX4
Car: 04 I35/03 G35

I really like the frankencar stage3 intake. BOMB!!! The stillen RAM intake will not give you that growl as in AEM CAI. The stillen RAM intake is pretty quiet. I just installed a hotshot CAI on my g20 and it has the growl i was missing from the one in my QX4. The frakencar one uses more pipes and the filter is not too close to the engine which is better and it comes with a heat shield. The stillen cai does not come with a heatshield and YOU will feel the difference when it's 85-90 outside and the engine, air, and hood is hot. I think i loose more performance when it's hot outside.

I just ordered the k&N aircharger system, and hasn't been shipped yet, so i may cancel and order the franken car stage3 in red.

larryt
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4X4

I've been checking out the Frankencar intake as well. Do you know anyone who has one? I'm curious as to whether it comes with a heat shield, since it's not listed in the product description, but it is shown with the "Stage 3" in the pics. I also noticed that these pics seem to be from another Nissan vehicle (Maxima?) and that "Stage 3" is not an option for the QX4/Pathfinder kit.Probably, you could just make one, judging by the pics, but it would be nice to have a pre-fab shield. I'm still a bit wary of using a non-shielded intake, the better sound isn't worth the heat-robbed power loss.If you have any info otherwise, please post. I e-mailed Frankencar and will forward their response.

leeQX4

good job larryt! I was going to call frankencar myself, and ask if they had the stage3 available. Let us know if they do come have the stage3 and heatshield, I really like their stage three product. The k&n one i ordered also has a heatshield, I just don't like the design. The design of the frankencar has me sold.

oh, all of the aircharger/cai aftermarket systems use the stock maf device and sensor. I don't think i have seen an aftermarket CAI system that does not use the stock sensors. I have had different CAIs from about 6 different companys on six different cars that I have own other than nissan.

larryt

I'll let you know as soon as I hear from them. Meantime, if anyone has tried Frankencar, please post.

I had a great experience with the K&N FIPK on my V8 Grand Cherokee, so I don't doubt it will work on the QX4, but I know (from this posting board) that our MAF is much more sensitive to filter oil, so I'd rather have the option of the Apexi filter that Frankencar offers.

Chedman13

"leeQX4" said, "oh, all of the aircharger/cai aftermarket systems use the stock maf device and sensor. I don't think i have seen an aftermarket CAI system that does not use the stock sensors. "

Can someone confirm that the AirCharger uses the Stock MAF device and Sensor? It says on the website that it doesn't let you attach any emission control devices.

Also, i emailed frakencar also about two weeks ago. No response. So I hope you guys have better luck. I work till 6pm, so I don't really have a chance to actually call them during their business hours.

leeQX4

Chedman13 wrote:"leeQX4" said, "oh, all of the aircharger/cai aftermarket systems use the stock maf device and sensor. I don't think i have seen an aftermarket CAI system that does not use the stock sensors. "

Can someone confirm that the AirCharger uses the Stock MAF device and Sensor? It says on the website that it doesn't let you attach any emission control devices.

Also, i emailed frakencar also about two weeks ago. No response. So I hope you guys have better luck. I work till 6pm, so I don't really have a chance to actually call them during their business hours.

Hey chedman13, you have to read the article on frankencar alittle more. Frankencar does not have a sensor input that they are using to hookup to the maf sensor in our trucks. As I stated before, they have a piece of aluminium tubing that is connect to the maf. On there site it's called the maf adaptor. This piece allows us to hook up the tube that are maf sensor connects to in our trucks to the Frankencar air intake. Which then allows us to use the stock maf sensor and the tube. Trust me this is going to be my 8th CAI install. This is taken from frankencar website.

quote:

"2001-2003 NISSAN PATHFINDER/INFINITI QX4 INTAKES

Pictures

1.INCLUDES

Custom Contoured and Machined T-6 Aluminum MAF adapter K/N Filter or Apexi Filter(additional cost) HIGH GLOSS Powdercoated MIDPIPE to replace stock intake section SILICONE Couplers HEAVY DUTY T-BOLT Clamps (normally used only on TURBO Cars!!)

2.INFO: So you've got a Nissan Pathfinder or Infiniti QX4 and your really looking for some gains? Does 8-12HP, an unbelievable sound, increased throttle response, a great looking engine bay and increased fuel economy sound good to you? I bet it does, and that means this is the intake for you! Includes a powder-coated intake section that dresses up your engine bay and your choice of a K/N or Apexi Filter(we're the only ones taking this extra step and offering a filter choice to YOU). The sound you will get with this intake is utterly incredible, it’s sure to give your neighbors a shock!!! Increases intake velocity and smoothes out airflow over traditional pop style intake, without the high end restrictions from a traditional long tube CAI, this hybrid intake is the perfect all around setup. No drilling, no permanent modifications, no danger of sucking up water from a low hanging filter.

FULL INTAKES INCLUDE:

K/N or Apex-I Filter(with installation kit consisting of Aluminum Apex-I Filter adapter, 1 silicone coupler and 2 T-Bolt Hose Clamps.) 4 Heavy Duty T-Bolt Hose Clamps 2 Silicone Couplers 1 High Gloss Powdercoated MIDPIPE 1 Billet Aluminum MAF Adapter Stickers and Instructions MIDPIPE INCLUDES:

1 High Gloss Powdercoated Midpipe 4 Heavy Duty T-Bolt Hose Clamps 2 Silicone Couplers Stickers and Instructions"

Now after reading this are you sold like I was. I cancelled my K&N order and I am going to order the frakencar today. Notice from the quote they say "Custom Contoured and Machined T-6 Aluminum MAF adapter " thats the connecting piece. And for the Full Intake they say "1 Billet Aluminum MAF Adapter." Those are the pieces needed to get the maf sensor connected.

lee

leeQX4

You guys gotta see/listen to the frankencar mpeg clip. I am so sold on this intake. This is the sound I was looking for :ylsuper

Click this link-->frakencar sound clip

leeQX4

Oh and this is my current stillen setup minus the heatshield i made and broke.

And this is frankencar, what a big difference! I want it NOW!

larryt

I'm pretty sold on the Frankencar too. It sounds great. I noticed that they disclaim that their intake (like the K&N Aircharger) is off-road only, and to remove it before having it serviced by Nissan. Anyone have any experiences with Nissan dealers, especially in SoCal (higher emissions standards, I think), giving them problems with these off-road only kits? Also, how about having the vehicle smogged?

I'd imagine one would get pretty good at taking the intake on/off after a few times, but is it really necessary?

No response yet from e-mail to Frankencar regarding Stage 2 vs. Stage 3 for Pathfinder/QX4. I called today too, but missed business hours due to time difference.

leeQX4

larryt wrote:I'm pretty sold on the Frankencar too. It sounds great. I noticed that they disclaim that their intake (like the K&N Aircharger) is off-road only, and to remove it before having it serviced by Nissan. Anyone have any experiences with Nissan dealers, especially in SoCal (higher emissions standards, I think), giving them problems with these off-road only kits? Also, how about having the vehicle smogged?

I'd imagine one would get pretty good at taking the intake on/off after a few times, but is it really necessary?

No response yet from e-mail to Frankencar regarding Stage 2 vs. Stage 3 for Pathfinder/QX4. I called today too, but missed business hours due to time difference.

I don't know about nissan dealerships but I have been to both Passport Infiniti in Virginia and Jim coleman Infiniti in Maryland and they haven't gave me a problem with any of my mods. Everytime I go to Jim Coleman the people there want me to display my vehicle and rev the engine to hear the exhaust. Passport Infiniti actually installs stillen and procharger aftermarket parts and they sell them.

Now California is a different story. You guys have a ton of emissions crap to deal with. I couldn't take it if I was living out there. I luv to mod cars.

Next let's talk about frankencar. I have called them repeatedly all day with no answer. They only give out two numbers, and they are cell phone numbers and not 1888/800 numbers. I don't like that, I would hate to buy their product and they don't get back to you, if i had a problem of some sort. We will see, I only called today to place an order and left a couple messages. I'll give them a couple of days before I determine to do business with them.

lee

Chedman13

leeQX4, thanks for the great posts.

this is going to be long... sorry

I have some K&N answers:"I am looking to buy the K&N's AirCharger® Off-Road & Racing Performance Kits.Specifically the 63-1087.On the website it states: "if the stock air cleaner box has emission control devices and/or hoses attached, these parts MAY NOT be re-installed on a new AirCharger assembly."

My question:

I don't mind about about the emission control devices not being able to be re-installed into the new AirCharger, but wondering if this will harm the engine in any way.

Removing the emission control devices does exactly what? Will it make my engine run less smooth?

RESPONSE:Dear Ed,

This specific kit actually has all the connections and fittings to use the all stock sensors and vent lines. That statement is basically a legal one, as this kit would still not be legal in some states that do a vehicle inspection as part of their emissions testing program. Our kits, when first released, are called an Aircharger while they undergo testing. When they are approved, the kit is then called an FIPK, changes part numbers, is then 50 state legal, but the parts remain the same. This kit will use your stock emissions control systems, and will not harm the motor as a result.

Thanks for writing,Shaun McClureTechnical SupportK&N Engineering

IN CONCLUSION:Just because FrakenCar doesn't seem to respond to anyone and their response time is horrible, I say K&N is my number 1 choice.

Can't beat K&N's R&D, but that custom intake does look very nice (besides the heat shield).

K&N's website does bring up the oil as a problem, so I would like to stay with a dry filter just incase. Replacing a air filter isn't too big of a deal if it's once every 40k miles even though it's $80 bucks.

Chedman13

Oh, leeQX4, what mods do you have? I've been looking for stuff to do to my 2001 QX4 and would appreciate any advice.

NISTECH

larryt wrote:I'm pretty sold on the Frankencar too. It sounds great. I noticed that they disclaim that their intake (like the K&N Aircharger) is off-road only, and to remove it before having it serviced by Nissan. Anyone have any experiences with Nissan dealers, especially in SoCal (higher emissions standards, I think), giving them problems with these off-road only kits? Also, how about having the vehicle smogged?

No we dont make a big deal out of the intake systems on these cars at the dealer unless our diagnostic leads to it being the cause of a failure.Typically that means oil from the filter has gotten on the Airflow meter and burnt it up. As for Smog laws on intake systems.Being I am not only a dealer tech I also have my state smog inspectors license. As it is stated in the manual" as long as it does not interfear with the operation of the emissions control sensors it is considered acceptable without an EO#[executive order]"

larryt

Nistech, thanks for sharing all this great info.

Your post begs the question: How often do you see the Airflow meter burnt up from filter oil? I think this is a major consideration for those of us considering the K&N. Sure would like an insider's point of view on this!

NISTECH

more then you would think. It is usually as a result of the filter being over oiled. But nissan used to have an oiled filter right from the factory. It was the older red filter[not the aftermarket one made in korea] Nissan discontinued it and now uses a non oiled filter. the new white one. since they determined it may have been the cause of the numerous new Airflow meters going out on the 2000+ vehiles. The oil one did not have hardly any oil on it and they seem to think it was the cause. When you install that K&N filter or any other oiled filter be sure to follow their preperation proceedures to the letter.

Technically nissan can void your warrenty on the A/F meter if you have an oiled air filter but that rarely happens unless it was documented during a diagnostic proceedure you had one which many techs overlook during documentation.

leeQX4

I have never had a problem with any of my airfilters. Most CAI products use the k&n cone filter anyway. YOU HAVE TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY as Nistech stated. Preparation is key here guys. None of the CAIs come with the oil kit. Autozone, pepboys, advanced auto parts and a couple of local stores carry the k&n cleaner kit. The kit will usually run $19.00. Well worth it, and the instructions have pictures. I usually clean my filter every 10,000 miles or so.

leeQX4

Chedman13 wrote:Oh, leeQX4, what mods do you have? I've been looking for stuff to do to my 2001 QX4 and would appreciate any advice.

Well let's start with the undercarriage:New exhaust all the way up to the b-pipe/ypipe.(2) Free Flowing racing Catalytic converters.Magnaflow muffler (no second muffler)Custom pipes from the muffler to create dual exhaust tips(spare tire still there ;))Resonated exhaust tips (keeps noise down)

Engine: NGK Iridium IX sparkplugsStillen CAI w/custom heatshield (broke)Removed all air restrictions and water valve returnTuned engine by my race shop. (Did little with performance but, anything helps!)

Interior:I30 rearview mirror with autodimming and compass (Critical, I hate being blinded by expedition, escalades and other big domestics)

That's about it. There are not many mods for Qx4 and path. You have to make do with what is out on the market unless we custom made parts. Eventhough we share the same engine with all the nissan family, aftermarket companys seem to overlook the QX4. Our engine bay is bigger than the maxima, g35, 350z and about the same size as the fx35. Yet all of those cars have supercharger kits. I called each of the supercharger companys and they say it wont fit our trucks. The funny thing is that the xterra and frontier have a $hit load of mods and I find that not fair. <rant mode off>

Anyway, I have to say, after replacing my whole exhaust system the truck is ten times faster, especially with the cai. I can't wait until i get the frakencar cai. :ylsuper

larryt

I think we're all looking forward to your imrpessions of the Frankencar intake, especially considering that you have had several different one in your QX4. Are you going to get the K&N or the Apexi oil-less?

leeQX4

Good news guys! I just got off the phone with Scott from frankencar. They only have one pipe left and they want to use me as a tester for their cai. They sold premade cai to a guy with a qx4 before, and was expecting him to call back and give details with pictures of their product. He didn't. They have the piping but, because of no demand for the product they didn't mass produce the CAI for the Qx4/path. I told them that there is great interest and lot of of us from NICO (actually 5 that i have counted) are willing to buy this product. I also told them that I was willing to take on this task and do the install and test it on my truck, seeing as how i have already modded most of my truck and I have done plenty of CAI installs. Scott said good, this will both benefit them as well as I, and probably anyone of you guys who might want a better aftermarket CAI with a dry filter. I chose the Apexi dry filter over the K&N just to try something different and I am figuring I will get more performance from a dry filter, then an oil one anyway. Well, I am shooting them an email now for the ordering and setting up. I will post my replys and comments on the process, and how everything is coming along with pictures. If this works, you guys should jump on the bandwagon! We wouldn't have to worry about messed up meters or anything! ;) :D

Thanks to Chedman13 on a great find!

larryt

One more intake to consider, though it looks like it's similar to the others in that it appears to use a K&N, and does not offer a heat shield (can't tell from the pic whether that bracket would function as such; I doubt it).

http://www.macperformance.com/...D=748

leeQX4

larryt wrote:One more intake to consider, though it looks like it's similar to the others in that it appears to use a K&N, and does not offer a heat shield (can't tell from the pic whether that bracket would function as such; I doubt it).

http://www.macperformance.com/...D=748

Damn you guys to keep finding intakes for this truck. Where were you guys two and a half years ago when I first bought my truck. Another nice find.

Chedman13

Yeah, pure luck finding that Fraken website, don't know how I came across it. Well, yeah keep us updated, I'll be the next to buy!

I still like the K&N b/c it looks stock and the heat shield looks a lot better.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”