2001 quest brake system

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
bosarvey
Car: 2001 Nissan Quest

hello. what is the device below the brake master cylinder into which the MC connects to the right front/left rear brakes, and the left front/right rear brakes?
online searches only show the load limiting valve in the rear of the van. not what I need to know.
thank you.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sounds like you're talking about the ABS Actuator. As I recall, that was more-or-less directly beneath the MC on older Quests.

bosarvey

thanks, but this is a non-ABS 2001 quest. still looking for answer.

bosarvey

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Then if it's set up dual-diagonal, the only thing it can be is a Metering Valve. I'm not seeing one in the parts drawings, but it may be subsumed as part of a tube assembly. Metering Valves are only used with rear drums, they hold off pressure in the front brakes until the pressure in the rears exceeds a certain threshold. This allows the rear shoes to overcome spring pressure and contact the drums before the front discs are allowed to "grab", keeping the vehicle on 4 brakes and not just 2.

bosarvey

hi, thanks for your reply.
no, what you are describing sounds like the dual load sensing valve. that is in the rear of the van, and I can see it.
the one I see is in front, under the MC. It is a metal cube. 2 lines in from MC, then 4 lines out going separately to the RF, LR,RR, LF. no wires attached. and not ABS.
still looking for answer, thanks.

bosarvey

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The Load Sensing Valve is a "proportioning valve", not metering. It's just variable, unlike a normal proportioning valve which works at a fixed regulating ratio. Most disc/drum vehicles have metering and proportioning combined into a single unit, but that probably wouldn't be practical with the LSV being located at the rear axle.

Return to “Quest Forum”