2001 pathfinder won't fire up!!but makes a whizzzzzzzzing sound....

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
blackpather

Hey. I tried searching for my situation and I couldn't find anything. Here it is. I have a 01 pathfinder with 97000 miles. the last week or so it's been hard to start it up. It makes wierd noises and takes a couple tries to start. As of this morning, when i try and start it up i hear it whizzzing but no actual startuip. it basically sounds like its not firing up the engine but it still makes a whizzing sound when i turn the key. The battery is good. i also cannot press the brake pedal down anymore because i "pumped" it all out I guess you could say trying to start it up. I do have an SES light on but I do not think it has to do with the startup problems but i could be wrong. Any help is much appreciated guys. Thanks.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Welcome to NICO!

Let me ask you, does this whizzing sound come from the motor, or say from behind the rear seat area??

First thing will be do to check fuel pressure...

So im guessing that the motor cranks (starter makes noise) but it will not start....

blackpather

hey. the whizzing comes from the motor. I turn the key to start it up and you know how normally it goes nnnn nnn nn nnnn n ROOOOOOOOOOOM to start? well it doesn't even make the nnn nnnn nnnnnnnn sound at all. it makes an electrical whizzing sound likes it's missing something. ive tried searching google and the past posts here and i can' t find my exact problem. are there some fuses I could check?everthing electrical is good. thanks man

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Ok... gotcha...

You're probably looking at replacing the starter.... first thing I would try to do is see if you could get under the car and tap the starter with a hammer.. Tapping it sometimes will free the solenoid. the only other thing you could try doing is "hotwiring" the car and see if it goes... I probably wouldnt recommend you doing that unless your CONFIDENT you could a) can read a wiring diagram, b) have some electrical knowledge, and so forth.

blackpather

i figured it could be something to do with the starter. i just went and pinpointed the sound as best as i could. after i tried to start it, i ran and put my ear under the hood and there is a gurgling/clickingish type of sound coming from behind the area where the cable is pulled to start the engine. I'm not real familiar with engine terms so I can't describe it too well but it's between the firewall and the actual engine. thanks again

nissandoms47
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SEV6-Custom 7" lift-33-1250R15 BFG KM2- a bunch of other s*** i cant think of

thats a good description. when you go to turn the key does it make a click or a ting noise when turning the key? if the engine is not cranking over its most likely the started like said above.

blackpather

when you say cranking over, is that the agressive sound part like the nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo? meaning is it the nnnnnnnnn part?because it doesnt make that noise. when i turn the key to start the car its like it totally misses that nnnnnnnnnnnn part and just does an electrical whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizing.. then about 5 seconds later, that noise starts from the engine bay area

blackpather

where is the starter solenoid located?i called a dealer and they said it was between the bell housing and the transmission in front of the engine on the driver side. couldnn't find it. do i have to remove the underplastic protector thing?thanks

nissandoms47
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SEV6-Custom 7" lift-33-1250R15 BFG KM2- a bunch of other s*** i cant think of

the starter should be back by the transmission bellhousing. and you cant just replace the solenoid. you have to get a whole new starter. If you arn't mechanically inclined take it to the dealer to have the work done, if you are the starter swap takes less then 30 minutes.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”