2001 Pathfinder SE eating up front brake pad and rotors....

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Dawg82
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE

Had new pads and rotors put on Jan 2018. By fall, getting pretty heavy vibration when braking. Take it back in December 2018 while under warranty and get new pads and rotors. Within three months vibration is back. Took it back again and shop said I would have to buy new calipers if they were going to replace the already warped rotors. Shop said apparently it is common in Nissans for the calipers to allow pads to wear on rotors.

This is a low mileage (120K miles) Pathy that is driven pretty gently. Haven’t towed anything in years. Anyone else seeing this brake issue?

AlanAZ
Car: 2003 QX4 rwd

When I first got my QX4, the rear drums were way out of adjustment, and not contributing. All the braking was done by the front discs.

You also want to ensure the caliper guide pins have been properly cleaned and greased, and the replaceable clips are in place and greased correctly. I seen some where whoever had been replacing the pads, had simply stuck them in there, not a lick of cleaning or grease, I could see that they getting bound up, and not releasing all the way, excessively wearing the pads and rotors.

Do you know what brand of pads and rotors where used? It could be a combination of factors, to be as excessive as you say.

Less likely, could also be the the master or slave cylinders are not releasing all the pressure. Has the brake fluid been recently (and regularly) flushed?

Dawg82
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE

Thanks for the tips The repair shop is a chain, Mavis Tire (formerly Kauffman Tire) I've had other cars brakes done there, including my old Infiniti I30 and my wife's old Lexus ES330

No idea on the type of rotors / pads they used. On this latest go round, they replaced the calipers and flushed the brake lines ($450) before they would do the warranty replacement on the pads and rotors (which had gotten warped in less than 6 months / 3000 miles.

Drums were replaced in the 12/2018 service

AlanAZ

Drum shoes usually last longer than 120K miles, mine are at about 50%, but weren't adjusted right to provide much braking force, still seems early. I have not read that other owners have needed to replace calipers.

I visually checked the amount of remaining pad on my front brakes, replaced 10K miles ago, with Raybestos Advanced Tech ceramic pads, ATD855C. They have worn about 20%, so I'll get about 40K out of them. The original Nissan rotors I replaced with Raybestos rotors at 130K mls also, and there is no discernible wear on them, no vibration.

macgiver

Cheap Chinese parts by a disreputable shop , doing sub-par work ???? :tisk:

RoyDaGeneral
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 2WD

I plan on changing my front pads and rotors next week. I watched several videos and don't think it's a bid deal. Could someone point out to where exactly the greasing goes? Also what kind of grease to use and what areas need cleaning? I'm a newbie here, so please bear with me;)

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

RoyDaGeneral wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:54 pm
I plan on changing my front pads and rotors next week. I watched several videos and don't think it's a bid deal. Could someone point out to where exactly the greasing goes? Also what kind of grease to use and what areas need cleaning? I'm a newbie here, so please bear with me;)
read the FSM p.20-23

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/QX4/2003/BR.pdf

AlanAZ

The last time I did brakes, Cadillac CTS front and rear, I used about 2/3 a small tube of Permatex Silicone Ceramic Brake Lube, and was very impressed by it.

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubri ... lubricant/

AlanAZ

Tip: when cleaning the guide pin shaft on the caliper after removing the pin, use Q-tips; first dry to remove all the old grease, then soaked with green-can brake cleaner (I spray some into the cap for the can, and dip the Q-tip into that.) Wait for it to dry completely, then lube the pin completely, including where the pin clips into the rubber boot (helps seal it from moisture - if a boot is ripped, it must be replaced), and install, rotating the pin as it goes in. It's critical that the pins slide freely.

RoyDaGeneral
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 2WD

I found this cheaper white grease at O'reilly's, it's cheaper but will it work OK?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

RoyDaGeneral wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:19 pm
I found this cheaper white grease at O'reilly's, it's cheaper but will it work OK?

no, you want something formulated specifically for brakes and calipers such as this CRC Brake & Caliper grease

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05359-Calipe ... 4337&psc=1

attofarad
Car: 2001 QX4

I would use silicone paste on the caliper pins. I used the CRC on the pins, and that plastic ring (anti chatter, I think) that is around one pin seems to have swollen and pretty much froze the pin in place, giving me uneven pad wear by 3mm or so. I still use the CRC on the pad "ears" where they ride on the caliper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077P ... UTF8&psc=1

I plan to clean/re-lube the caliper pins after 10k miles (every other tire rotation) as needed.

brickbox
Car: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

I second the recommendation for the Permatex silicone grease. I use it on all my vehicles and they are very good.

brickbox
Car: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4

Just another possibility, but your rear drum wheel cylinders could be leaking as well. That's what happened on my QX4 when I first bought it. If not that, then I would check the drums being out of adjustment.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”