2001 pathfinder ping

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
joelala
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

I have a 2001 pathfinder and it pings under load occasinally with no related codes. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without using premium gas all the time.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

add a little bit of human urine (note: it has to be human, no other mammals) to the gas and it will stop the pinging.

cmkelly
Car: 1992 240sx Vert, 2006 Acura TL, 2001 Pathfinder LE, 1996 4Runner 4x4

I've used premium gas since I bought mine with 39k miles on it (now has 150k) and mine has now started to ping. I just changed the plugs whiched helped but still a ping under load with 93 octane.

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

fueler wrote:add a little bit of human urine (note: it has to be human, no other mammals) to the gas and it will stop the pinging.
I thought urea was only for diesels?

joelala

does anyone have any ideas or has had this problem. I would like to try to resolve problem if I can.

fueler

The only solution is to stop being such a cheap-*** and use premium fuel, or move to Colorado where the elevation permits use of 85 octane.

pick your poison, i'd choose premium fuel, the extra $1 to save your engine is worth it unless your car is leased.

joelala

ahh num nuts you seem to be letting out alot of hot air. If you cant offer any help then there is no need for you remarks.

fueler

zerothread/265984 You asked the same question back then and got an answer. Just so you know, whenever theres a reply, the thread goes to the top of the forum, so there is no need to post the same question in a new thread, especially just an hour after I reply to the first thread.

ANYWAYS - here is the long answer, copied directly from wikipedia. Detonation can be prevented by:

* The use of a fuel with higher octane rating * The addition of octane-increasing "lead", methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT), isooctane, or other antiknock agents. * Increasing the amount of fuel injected/inducted (resulting in lower Air to Fuel Ratio) * Reduction of cylinder pressure by increasing the engine revolutions (lower gear), decreasing the manifold pressure (throttle opening) or reducing the load on the engine, or any combination. * Reduction of charge (in-cylinder) temperatures (such as through cooling, water injection or compression ratio reduction). * Retardation of spark plug ignition. * Improved combustion chamber design that concentrates mixture near the spark plug and generates high turbulence to promote fast even burning. * Use of a spark plug of colder heat range in cases where the spark plug insulator has become a source of pre-ignition leading to detonation.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”