2001 Pathfinder how to change front differential bushings

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
pathycostarica
Car: 2001 Pathfinder 4wd LE 3.5

2001 Pathfinder just found the front differential mounts have blown out bushings. Had been horrible clunking and Rockwood(forum member) seems to have saved me by diagnosing it on my post. I expect this is the clunk cause as they are blown.
My question is can a generic bushing be pressed in to replace the bad ones or is the only fix the OEM bracket. I am not trying to save money but time as I am in Costa Rica and it will be 3 weeks before I can get a new bracket from USA.
anyone with experience and comment doing these I would greatly appreciate.
Thanks
And thanks again to Rockwood and the forum.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You might have a tough time finding the exact diameter bushing to press in, if you're just planning on using a "generic" bushing.

You could use a urethane bushing, but if you want rubber, you'll need the shell and the insert (both metal) like the OEM bushings.

To replace the bushings, the easiest way is to remove the bracket, burn out the rubber, then gently cut the outer shell in two places, drive the remains of the shell out with a punch, and press in the new bushings.

Welcome aboard!

pathycostarica

Thank you AZhitman,
I would prefer a poly urethane bushing as the roads are all dirt and rocks where I am and I am very sure new rubber will blow out in time. I have changed all control arm bushings front and back to urethane but I couldn't find them online for the front diff bracket. I found a company called Febest that had a part number for a rubber bushing they list specifically for the front diff NAB-332. but the poly would be better for all the obvious reasons.

If you or anyone knows where i can buy them I would appreciate.
Thanks again

pathycostarica

I ordered the oem brackets and will have them in 2 weeks and let you know how i made out
Thanks again to all

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”