2001 Pathfinder Door Link Stopper / aka 'Door Check'

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Drivers door won't stay propped open due to worn 'Door Check' (nissan part #er 80430-5W90A).

The replacement part is $79ish. I see similar units selling around $12 ~ $22 but they are not designated for my Pathfinder. Does anyone have any experience with any other model #er Door Check that can work in it's place or an aftermarket unit ?

My searches have not found an economical alternative to oem part. Maybe someone here has attempted to repair them with a kit or fix ?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

That's a tough one to find for the R50 models at a price point that's reasonable. Like you already found, there are boatloads of other almost identical door check stoppers for around $20. I did find a how to fix video that looks promising which is a bit tedious but cost nothing but time and a bit of handcraftsmanship. This would work for me if I ever have to deal with fixing mine if it wears out. I hope this helps.

fixer3

mdmellott ! That's perfect, just the fix I was looking for. Thank you for finding that. (Great, concise, video too).

Just after I posted two thought came to mind:
1) Go to junk yard, and pull door-check from a back door since those would have been used less, then remove / pull pin and swap the inner door end (pressure pad) to existing front door door-check arm.
2) Not being original owner I have no idea how strong it was originally or how strong a new one would be, as when testing my back doors they didn't seem to put up much resistance either.
So the idea of it being even stronger after the fix appeals.

This video fix is such a simple solution and will be a piece'o'cake for me. The Nissan 80430-5W90A replacement does look to have the bent over tab construction so I assume the original installed should as well. When I get around to trying it I will post back letting you know if it works out as shown. And if it's too much resistance I can just shave down the rubber block to preference.

Appreciate the help.

fixer3

No vice needed. Just hands and one medium to large Channel Lock / Knipex. I did take a hammer to tap here & there closing it up atop concrete but that was just ocd, pliers can do it all.

Did it work? A hurricane couldn’t close the door. (it’s easing up).
Impossible to slide by hand after reassembly, even leaning down using both hands pressing against pavement.
Parking the compression housing in a detent is the only way you’re getting ‘two’ shims in.
Had to partially close car door, with comp housing stuck in the middle detent, to get bolts on.
Just guessed at shim thickness and grabbed whatever scrap was on the bench.
There is gasket material that flakes away upon removal so I made a new gasket with scrap again.

Stock - https://imgur.com/a/kh0Rcjq

Fix - https://imgur.com/a/tlB5m50

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

NICE! That's problem solving!

fixer3

Thank you. ( thanks go to mdmellott and the video. )

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”