2001 Noam pathfinder 4x4 abs module

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Irji619
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Hello everyone. I have a 2001 nissan pathfinder 4x4 le. It has 203,000 miles on it. About a year ago my pathfinder reverse gear goes out. So I had my tyranny replaced. After a couple of months it started raining and in my area when it rains you have to switch to 4x4. I switched it used it for a bit and switched back to 2wheel. After I switched back, my 4x4 light stayed on and wouldn't go back to normal. I took my car to 4 shops saying that my abs module is bad. I looked up a few, ( awesome discontinued part)' found a used one brought it to the shop and they can't get the abs module to program to my vehicle. 4 shops and 4 used abs modules later, still no fix. The check engine light is not on, just my abs and 4x4 light. I spoke to another mechanic, and he said I have 0 chance of getting abs back in this vehicle. Am I screwed or are the mechanics missing something with the programming?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

I'm missing something. As far as I am aware of, the ABS control module is not a programable unit. You mentioned your 4x4 light stayed on and wouldn't go back to normal and then you mentioned 4 shops determined the ABS module is bad. After that, you indicated your ABS light was on. Was the ABS light on as well before you had a shop mechanic look at your vehicle? I'm not sure what the 4x4 light and the ABS light have to do with anything interrelated. The ABS light coming on usually means there is an issue with a component in the ABS system, not the ABS module itself, and a fault code would be stored in the ABS control module to indicated where in the system the fault occurred. The 4x4 light staying on when you are not in 4WD usually indicates an issue with a component in the 4WD system, in which case a fault code would be stored in the TCM. These stored fault codes would not necessarily trigger the check engine light to come on. Retrieving the fault codes to better diagnose what is happening is not as straight forward as plugging a generic scan tool into the datalink connector to read fault codes that trigger a CEL.

Irji619

The abs and 4x4 light were both on. They simultaneously went on. I was under the impression that the 4x4 and abs module were interconnected in these vehicles. I think I read somewhere or was told that if one goes bad or malfunctions it affects both.

mdmellott

That's not necessarily the case but I suppose there could be some interdependence for very specific fault circumstances. You need to have a reliable Nissan dealership service technician or other Nissan authorized service center take a look at your vehicle, retrieve the fault codes, and properly diagnose what has gone wrong. If you want to get familiar with your vehicle's operating functions and troubleshooting issues, the factory service manual for your '01 Pathfinder on NICOclub's website is a wealth of knowledge. https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

Irji619

Thank you for your input. Currently I'm waiting for the nissan data scan package. Hopefully it'll help me out where the shops failed

mdmellott

Irji619 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:07 pm
Thank you for your input. Currently I'm waiting for the nissan data scan package. Hopefully it'll help me out where the shops failed
I've been reading quite a few user reviews and supplier information about the Nissan DataScan II software program. It would be great to read about your feedback on that product after you get it all figured out.

Irji619

As soon as I receive it I will post feedback about it. Has anyone ever purchased abs sensors from rockauto? I'm sure I'm going to have to replace abs sensors.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”