2001 nissan altima wont start

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
D Krush
Car: 2001 nissan altima gxe limited edition

i have a 2001 nissan altima gxe le and it wont start. the battery isnt dead. i had two mechanics check it for me and they said that it is not getting any sparks to ignite the fuel when you start it. what could be the problem here?

MaximA32

If you're not getting any spark to the plugs, it could be one of two things. One, it could be the ignition coil. This would be the easiest and simplest fix. Two, it could be the ignition switch itself. This is slightly more costly but more than likely not the case.

D Krush
Car: 2001 nissan altima gxe limited edition

thank you. before i posted this thread i replaced the distributor and that didnt do it so im gonna go ahead and try that ty

truckboy

did you try to jump it if you did battery is good starter is likely sometimes you can tap on the starter and it will work after you get it running take it to autozone and have them put it on the machine to test battery,starter, and alternator they do it for free use autozone.com to troubleshoot your problem or repair manual :spitout:

MaximA32

truckboy wrote:did you try to jump it if you did battery is good starter is likely sometimes you can tap on the starter and it will work after you get it running take it to autozone and have them put it on the machine to test battery,starter, and alternator they do it for free use autozone.com to troubleshoot your problem or repair manual :spitout:
Were you actually reading his post? Guess not because you missed the part where he says
D Krush wrote:the battery isn't dead

346ci
Car: 2000 Camaro SS
1993 Hissan HB X-Cab
1992 Chevy S10 4X4

Start with checking the NATs system. That is built into your key and has to be programmed to the car by a dealer. If the red light on your dash(top of dash) is lighted while cranking, you have a NATs problem. The key could lose program or the unit in the dash is screwed up. This system works by killing the ignition system, ie no spark.

Those cars could flood in any type of weather. To check this, hold the throttle wide open while cranking. If no help, move on.

The MAF sensors usually caused poor running, I don't remember a 3.0L not starting due to a MAF. It's better to have a known good spare to check these.

I'd then check the crank sensors. The POS is near the tranny cooler lines going into the trans. The reference sensor is to the right of the oil filter.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”