2001 Altima no spark after engine swap Resolved

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
pontiacguy
Car: 1995 d21 hardbody

I just beat my head against the wall for about a week so I thought that I would share my findings. I had a blown head gasket and high miles so I rebuilt my Ka24de. Upon re-installation I had no spark when cranking. No fault codes present. No power at the coil. I'll skip all the checks I did and get right to it. Nissan , in their infinite wisdom, made the plugs that go to the crank position sensor and the 2 wire coil power plug are identical. They are not keyed differently, so if you did not label these plugs then you have a 50/50 chance that you will get it wrong. The car will never run again until these are swapped back. The fsm will not help because both plugs have a black/red wire that should (will not) have 12v switched at it. The wires that go to the coil are supposed to be black/red and green.The fsm does not describe the green wire. The crank sensor should be black/red and brown. I did not have any apparent damage after swapping back. After much searching on this site, I found a well hidden reference to this from 2007. I think that this problem has to be more common than is realized so I thought that I would try to make this fix a little more prominent. I really don't know how I or anyone would figure this one out by themselves without tearing the whole wiring harness apart. Thank you Nissan for making these two plugs EXACTLY ALIKE! If this helps anyone else out feel free to leave a comment.

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”