2001 Altima - low ps fluid noise when turning left

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
hassan385
Car: 1997 Infiniti QX4, 2001 Nissan Altima

Hi All,

I have searched around for this particular problem but could not find an answer.

on my 01 altima 132K miles, whenever i am driving at speeds 15 mph and over, i hear this noise, which is the same noise as if my power steering fluid is too low, but it is not low, still i hear this noise while turning left only.

For example, whenever i make a U-turn under a highway, i always hear this noise.

Right turns are always quite no matter how fast i turn. I tried this in an empty parking lot and the right turns do not make any noise.

I did a power steering fluid flush, and the noise is still there, and now it makes this noise sometimes at idle when i do cold start. Now this seems to be my pump, but still the left turns make noise when driving and the right turns do not.

Thanks for reading the whole problem, now what are your suggestions.

vaxenzi
Car: 1998 latima gxe

did you notice any leakage of PS fluid? It has to be.lets see what can it be, the low level of fluid will cause damage of PS pump (~50$ on ebay).If it has noise this means that it will die soon.BUT, if this noise goes louder when you turn one side, this means that more power is needed and comes out that most probably this is caused by problems in steering rack. one of possible problems can be damaged sealing on left side of rack, that will leak also.

hope made some help

hassan385
Car: 1997 Infiniti QX4, 2001 Nissan Altima

Thanks vaxenvi,

I talked to one of the Power Steering repair shop and they suggested i change the reservoir. Since it makes more noise in cold weather, it could be that the fluid is thicker at low temperatures and the reservoir's filter may be clogged.

I'll try changing the reservoir.

And noise while turning left is definitely something else. But since the noise got worse after i did the flush, it could be the reservoir filter.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

smancer
Car: 01 Pathfinder LE

The noise is a squeal right? Sounds exactly like the problem I had before.

On my altima it was squealing on start up especially cold days then once it warms up it stops, then it squeals again when crank the steering far. I thought it was the power steering pump also so I got mine checked and the problem was the idler pulley. I got it changed and never heard the sound again.

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”