2001 Altima died on the highway and now wont start

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
hassan385
Car: 1997 Infiniti QX4, 2001 Nissan Altima

Hi All,

I was driving down the highway at 75mph and all of a sudden my Altima lost power. the engine just died and i heard a few thumping noise from the exhaust.

I pulled over and the car would not start, the starter did turn over the car and it was powerful, but the car would not start.

I have already checked the following items,

1- Battery is good2- Fuel is coming all the way to the fuel rail. (Checked this by disconnecting the hose that comes out of the fuel filter and goes into the fuel rail, then gave the car a crank and the fuel started flowing out of the hose)3- There is spark coming out of the distributor.checked this by taking the cable that comes out of the distributor, placing it close to the dist cap and cranking the engine. I could see sparks between the cable and the dist cap connector.

What could it be? I am really confused. The only other thing i can think of is compression. but will bad compression make a car die on the highway at 75 and never start again?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

TommyAaron
Car: Infiniti

good tips, thx a lot___________________________Uggsugg boots
Modified by TommyAaron at 3:47 AM 4/12/2010

wade001
Car: 2009 Altima coupe 2.5s mt

check your alternator, it might be that

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

I agree. Alternator is the first thing I'd check.

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”